Vintage Fridge Shopping

Stoves, Fridges, Radiograms and more
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Vintage Fridge Shopping

Post by Manalto »

I'm looking for a vintage refrigerator because of space, quality and aesthetics. I'm focusing on units that are good cosmetically, functioning and complete with no plastic parts. I have my eye on a GE Monitor Top in excellent condition, but the asking price is a bit steep. There are several other options out there, including a Servel-Electrolux gas model. I remember from my high-school years neighbors who raved about their gas refrigerator. (My head is still spinning regarding the technology, but I'll look that up.) Two questions:

Do you have experience of a gas refrigerator and would you recommend one?
ETA: A quick search revealed that there is a danger of carbon dioxide and monoxide gas from the inefficient burners in these refrigerators. So, I guess I have just one question:

Any suggestions on how to choose a good vintage refrigerator?

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Vintage Fridge Shopping

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

I don't have any experience with a gas refrigerator, but I would assume the CO risk wouldn't be any greater than with any other gas appliance (range, dryer, water heater, furnace, etc).

Most pre-1960 refrigerators were reliable workhorses. I don't necessarily know that there are any particular makes you should avoid, but as you mentioned the GEs are very popular. GE models from the post-Monitor era can often be found reasonably. How common a certain make is can also vary with locality. Around here, Philco units turn up seemingly more often than any other, as they were manufactured in Philadelphia and there were a lot of dealers in the area. In rural areas, you tend to see more brands like Coldspot (Sears) or other department store house brands.

Look for one that has all its shelves and is in good cosmetic condition. There's far less chance that a nice looking one has been abused versus one that spent the last 30 years in an outbuilding with holes in the roof. Be prepared to replace the rubber door gasket, as they are usually hard and flattened after 60-70+ years of service. It also helps if you can verify the compressor is good.

Good luck with your search. Be patient and the right one will come to you.

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

All I can say is based on an old functioning monitor top I used to have - there were some things about it less than ideal. It didnt get very cold, and it needed defrosting periodically. At the time I lived in a tiny apartment, but if I had it now I would keep a small modern freezer in the basement for serious freezing needs. On the plus side, it was so much quieter than a modern fridge - purred like a kitten.

Supposedly there are ways to retrofit these with modern refrigerant - not sure if that means just removing the old chemical or adding all new compressor and parts.

I sure wish I still had it - at the time all these old geezer repairman types were telling me to get rid of it, that it could explode and kill me. When I researched, I found that methyl formate (the refrigerant in mine) was indeed not a chemical youd want leaking around your house - now used as an insecticide and is flammable. I guess that would be my main caveat - what's in it and are you sure its not leaking.

Some people use them only as storage, without running them. But what's the fun of that!

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Kashka-Kat wrote:Some people use them only as storage, without running them.

That's what microwaves are for.

I made a call about a Frigidaire that looks to be from the 30s, with squared corners and lots of hardware that allows the door to be either left- or right-opening. It's in really good condition inside and out, but the seller doesn't know if it works. I suggested they plug it in and call me back. (I'm not kidding.) Waiting to hear...

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Don't all vintage natural gas appliances require retrofitting to meet safety codes (ie. emergency shut-off & regulator)? Wouldn't such retrofitting also entail using the new refrigerant as the previous one is no longer to code?
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Olson185 wrote:Don't all vintage natural gas appliances require retrofitting to meet safety codes (ie. emergency shut-off & regulator)? Wouldn't such retrofitting also entail using the new refrigerant as the previous one is no longer to code?

I don't know how such matters are administered ? Are used appliances forbidden to be sold without inspection/code documents ? Are there local Craigslist code enforcement officers ? Do gas fitters have to report all used vintage appliances in a household for example ?

I have never encountered this in Canada, only appliance repair dudes who don't know vintage anything and won't look at vintage anything and who treat you like you are crazy for asking about vintage anything.

I think the theory behind upgraded-to-code appliances is wise, but the actual administration of this seems very difficult to enforce.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Manalto wrote:
I made a call about a Frigidaire that looks to be from the 30s, with squared corners and lots of hardware that allows the door to be either left- or right-opening. It's in really good condition inside and out, but the seller doesn't know if it works. I suggested they plug it in and call me back. (I'm not kidding.) Waiting to hear...

You know I am waiting with great anticipation to see what you might find !

My $ 0.02 (CAN): I think buying a used appliance is just the luck of the draw. You might find one that is a great deal, in perfect shape, that has another 25+ years to give you. You might find one that is a little rough around the edges but also has 25 more years to give. You may also find a perfect, top of the line model, that is 100% complete, that seems perfect and craps out within days of getting it home.

I think it is wise to be frugal and realistic when buying a vintage appliance. I mean, I really didn't want to accept that my Admiral was cooked and would cost a lot of $$$$ to get up and running again. But this was the reality. If you are willing to gamble a couple of hundred bucks a couple of times you will probably have a vintage fridge that is just fine. The worst case scenario is that you can harvest the parts from a conked out one to better a less complete one - or sell the parts on Ebay to other vintage fridge desperadoes.

p.s. I found the Robert Crumb vintage fridge comic. It was drawn with his wife Aline Kominsky Crumb, and was published in their "Dirty Laundry" collaborative comic( compendium is "Drawn Together" book) . It's also in Aline Kominsky Crumb's autobiography "Need More Love". It is called "Aline and Bob in Troubles With Old Refrigerators"c.1986. The comic features a 1935 Frigidaire - a year younger than the one for sale in Port Huron I posted.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Olson185 wrote:Don't all vintage natural gas appliances require retrofitting to meet safety codes (ie. emergency shut-off & regulator)? Wouldn't such retrofitting also entail using the new refrigerant as the previous one is no longer to code?

Yes, if they are sold by a reputable retailer. Which explains why, in the rare cases when you do see vintage appliances for sale by a dealer, they cost an arm and a leg. Craigslist and eBay transactions are under the radar.

Willa wrote:You know I am waiting with great anticipation to see what you might find !

The Frigidaire seller, who had promised to get back to me by the end of the day, didn't. I gave her a little prod (text message) this morning, and can't help but wonder if my interest caused her to change her mind about selling it - or selling it so cheaply.

Willa wrote:My $ 0.02 (CAN): I think buying a used appliance is just the luck of the draw.

That seems to be the case. Every fridge I've inquired about so far has become available because of someone moving into or out of a house. They're like pianos - big and clunky - so they sit there, unused, until they're in the way. I'm going to try posting on FreeCycle but am keeping my expectations low.

Willa wrote:I think it is wise to be frugal and realistic when buying a vintage appliance.

I think that's good advice. The more I think about that Monitor Top for $600 (or is it $700?) that might be merely cool, rather than cold, and might last a month or a decade, the more I think it's a good idea to pass it by.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Keep looking - you'll find what you're looking for! Sometimes the hunt can take a while.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I rejected both refrigerators today. First was the (1920s?) square Frigidaire with the hardware that let it be converted to left or right. We plugged it in and it shrieked - a seized motor? Condition was exceptionally good - all shelves, even ice trays in pristine condition. The seal around the door was wood! A flashlight revealed the mechanism beneath the refrigerator compartment (from whence came the squeal) with some obviously new replacement parts. I wonder if it was a commercial fridge - or perhaps a built-in.

Second rejection was 1949 GE (With the manual - can you believe it?) running quietly and cold, but missing one of the vegetable bins on the bottom, and pretty rusty around the edges. It was only $50, but I'd rather pay $200 for something complete. Am I being too picky?