Vintage Fridge Shopping

Stoves, Fridges, Radiograms and more
Olson185
Been here a good while

Re: Vintage Fridge Shopping

Post by Olson185 »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:
Olson185 wrote:I only recall we paid something like $300-$400 for the 1953 Chambers Model C stove (off Craigs List) and the total came to about $1,600-$1,800. This total includes purchase price, pick-up in Chappaqua, NY, 20 mile delivery to Stove Lady in Yonkers, NY, all her work to clean and restore the stove, pick-up and 50 mile delivery to us.

The part to which I'm referring is the thing with the red button. If any of the pilot lights blow out the gas is automatically shut off. These things cost anywhere between $20 to $200+ depending on whatever it is that makes one choose one over the other.

I've heard of her before. It's good to hear a testimonial of her work and that her prices sound reasonable.

We've got a Chambers model 61C from around 1950 in the basement that came with the house. Someone had set up one corner of the basement as a summer kitchen, probably for home canning. Unfortunately, it's probably going to wind up being a parts donor for another one, as the interior has significant rust and corrosion. I started disassembling it a few years ago and found that the condition was much worse than I had originally thought. My goal is to track down a better one sometime in the future.

I'd encourage anyone to buy a stove from her sight-unseen based on the level of documentation she gave us on the stove's condition upon arrival and all the before/after pics she sent us (I think there was even a video or two). She also provided us with like-new copies of all the written mat'l one would have recv'd from Chambers when the stove was bought new (incl. a Chambers instructional cook-book). She may be interested in your stove, too.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Today I went to East Longmeadow, Mass. to pick up the refrigerator that is the twin of the other one I recently acquired. Although this one is dirtier and has rust on it, the cabinet, unlike the other one, has no dents. More importantly, in the first fridge, the material surrounding the latch (it looks like a plastic-Masonite hybrid) is broken and this one is intact. We'll see, when I get this one cleaned up, which fridge will donate which organs. I scored a couple more shelves that were missing in the other one, the "Vegetables" drawer for the bottom (but not the glass shelf it's suspended from) and a manual. I say "a" manual because it is not "the" manual for this refrigerator. Close but no cigar; the aforementioned drawers are different in design, and the "butter keeper" is shown in the door. A serial number search revealed that my GEs are two years older, the 1947 model. I'll post the manual cover here anyway, for your amusement:

Image1949 GE manual by James McInnis, on Flickr

The defrosting instructions have an illustration I thought you might enjoy:

Image1949 GE manual ice pick by James McInnis, on Flickr

The seller wouldn't budge on his $50 price, claiming that he was "practically giving it away" already. I can't really disagree. The replacement gasket will cost more than that.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Geez, you're $ 50.00 down, with a helpful manual. I think the seller was wise to not budge !

If the rustier one is the better functioning one I suppose you could always get it repainted at an auto place, etc. in the color of your choice. Not the same as that baked on porcelain enamel, but replacing that finish will cost ya.

The NJ one that got sold may be a sign. Of course there may be another one WITH THE MISSING SHELF just around the corner, for $ 0.00....

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Manalto wrote: A serial number search revealed that my GEs are two years older, the 1947 model. I'll post the manual cover here anyway, for your amusement:

the war ended in 1945, a lot of manufacturers had been converted over to the war effort. In general there may have been a lot higher production in 1949 than '47 as It probably took time to get on track and ramp up production and for all those new houses to be built. It was a time of many great changes. a lot of people got their first TV then too usually from the same suppliers such as Westinghouse. a lot of advertising depicted both radios and appliances as they were hot items. A lot of technological advancements were made through wartime.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Well, it didn't take long - another of this model refrigerator showed up on Craigslist, and it's got the shelving that I was missing. Now I just have to go pick it up. Please don't tell anyone that I have three of the same 70 year-old refrigerator. People are so judgy.

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

Manalto wrote: ..... Please don't tell anyone that I have three of the same 70 year-old refrigerator. People are so judgy.

:lol: :lol: :silent:

Triplets - congratulations!! That is exciting news around here James. Do you now have 1 complete fridge by taking bits from each?
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

I want to see a picture of all three together, please. After the pickup, obviously, but I think it'd be a hoot to see that.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

TexasRed wrote:Do you now have 1 complete fridge by taking bits from each?

I do! (I will, rather, after I haul my butt down to New Jersey and pick it up.) I even have the shelf for the freezer, which is missing in the others I've seen. All three are working but there is no beauty contest winner among them, so deciding which one to equip with a gasket and use in the kitchen is pretty much a coin toss.

Speaking of shelves, what do you suppose this small one is for? It's up against the freezer, so the coldest part of the fridge. (It's not tall enough for milk, and there is an ample meat drawer under the freezer.) Fish? Looks like a good place to store a bottle of vodka on its side. ;-)

ImageColdest shelf in GE by James McInnis, on Flickr

Lily left the valley wrote:I want to see a picture of all three together, please.

Will do!

GE must have gone full-tilt providing refrigerators for the post-WWII market, with so many of this model still around - and kicking.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Maybe that side shelf was just a way to allow tall items on the top shelf, while still having a place for jelly or such that would eat up valuable footage on the other shelves?
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Lily left the valley wrote:Maybe that side shelf was just a way to allow tall items on the top shelf, while still having a place for jelly or such that would eat up valuable footage on the other shelves?

That's pretty much what the manual says, and so little things don't get lost in the back.

Lily left the valley wrote:I want to see a picture of all three together, please.

I know you probably wanted them in a row like a chorus line, but I'm squeezing them into the last remaining square inch of space here:

ImageThree GEs by James McInnis, on Flickr

You get the additional treat of seeing my American Standard 'Tang Red' toilet. (I have the sink, too!)