Vintage Fridge is Giving Up the Ghost (vent)

Stoves, Fridges, Radiograms and more
Olson185
Been here a good while

Re: Vintage Fridge is Giving Up the Ghost (vent)

Post by Olson185 »

From my experience (with plastics used for heating/cooling applications), the plastic tends to develop micro stress cracks as it ages (is used) and, if handled "un-delicately", especially during washing, these cracks continue to develop. In this example... until the pan leaks or breaks sufficiently to be thrown away.

If anyone has older (ie.) Rubbermaid microwave contianers, the lids will be the first to crack because they're see-thru. Old (ie) Rubbermaid ice trays, that one twists to release the ice cubes, will do the same thing eventually. I mention these examples because most of us will have experienced the occurrence. But a similar thing pertains to older plastics (obviously).

The nice thing is these old plastic fridge trays can usually be replaced with a shallow metal baking pan.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

The trays I'm referring to (for vegetables in the bottom) in vintage refrigerators were enameled metal.

Duffy666
Knows the area

Post by Duffy666 »

Willa wrote:
Lily left the valley wrote:Willa, as the companion of a kitty that will turn 20 this month, I hope yours recovers soon.

As to the old fridge, that's a huge bummer. The miscommunication about the new delivery was just bad form. Did they at least knock something off the shipping cost as an apology?

I'll echo the idea of trying to hold onto your Admiral for a later fix if you can spare the space. If you can't, I wish you luck in finding a new oldie but goodie. You can always sell this newer one on its way if you do to at least lessen the blow.

My cat is responding to IV though the cause of her lethargy, high WBC and overall unwellness is unknown, so far. It could be a virus or cancer. Xrays and palpation did not reveal any masses, but ultrasound would tell more. I'm taking it step by step. If she was not improving with IV and supportive care then more diagnostics would not help her outcome. She came home with the IV port overnight (clinic is not staffed 24/7) but is going back in the early a.m. for more IV.

I will hold onto the Admiral for a little while, in vain hope that someone local who can fix it may present themself. As far as I can tell, the fridge is a 1950-52 model. It's only 67 years old - it's still good !

There seemed to a be a rash of dudes (via Kijiji) who were all about getting an old fridge to modify into a keg fridge, so I assume the compressor replacement is within the realm of possibility - though probably not someone I can scare up in an urgent fashion.

I ordered the new fridge online, so the messages were all automatic regarding delivery fees and dates. I looked around online and the delivery times were all about 2 weeks, but I bought the model on sale so at least that saved some $$$. But : ugh ! Useless to duke this out with a big box store as there is all kinds of fine print and policies to further confuse consumers. Obviously the design and function of the checkout is carefully considered. I can still cancel my order, but cold fridge trumps "cool" fridge.

I'm going to get the cheapest cooler and an appliance thermometer I can find, and use that for perishables. Buying a used fridge via CL, etc. seemed like another hassle as I would have to scare up delivery, and have no warranty. But this is a drag to say the least. If it was Dec. or Jan. my unheated porch would be a fine fridge substitute.

A day l;ate and a dollar short but did you look at the condenser coil to make sure it is clean?
I can't tell you how many free meals I received over the years because I gently cleaned a reach in cooler with a soft bristle broom and their cooler came back to life. :-)

If not it is most likely low on refrigerant and a commercial refrigeration mechanic would be your next call. I'm an ex-refrigeration mechanic that has forgotten 90% of what I use to know. ;) Good luck!
Another day on the correct side of the dirt.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Duffy666 wrote:A day l;ate and a dollar short but did you look at the condenser coil to make sure it is clean?
If not it is most likely low on refrigerant and a commercial refrigeration mechanic would be your next call. I'm an ex-refrigeration mechanic that has forgotten 90% of what I use to know. ;) Good luck!

Yep, checked the coils and dusted them first.

Called the nearest vintage appliance repair dude, who agreed the symptoms sounded like a shot compressor, $800.00 or more to fix, before the cost of getting it to and from (6 hr round trip).

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Willa, if you got the coin. Check this out, Canadian you know.
http://www.elmirastoveworks.com/

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

I seem to recall their pricing was in the range of the SMEG appliance stratosphere. They're cute but nope, I need a fence and eavestrophing and replacement trim for my kitchen first.