Vintage Fridge is Giving Up the Ghost (vent)

Stoves, Fridges, Radiograms and more
Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Re: Vintage Fridge is Giving Up the Ghost (vent)

Post by Kashka-Kat »

Willa, if you've priced a new fridge lately (ones that come with a 10 yr life expectancy ) then maybe the $700 repair isnt so bad? I phrase that as a question, not a statement! You could try combining the fridge transport with a vacation, assuming there is anything youd want to see or anyplace youd want visit in that direction?

Im no help at all, am I :wave:

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Kashka-Kat wrote:Willa, if you've priced a new fridge lately (ones that come with a 10 yr life expectancy ) then maybe the $700 repair isnt so bad? I phrase that as a question, not a statement! You could try combining the fridge transport with a vacation, assuming there is anything youd want to see or anyplace youd want visit in that direction?

It's just a big nope. The cost of transport each way would be about $ 200.00 =
$ 400.00 plus $ 700.00 repair plus 13 % tax is at least $ 1200.00. The new fridge was delivered today, and while I curse its deficiencies the food is cold and I have a warranty. I wouldn't feel 10x happier if I bought a fancy mint green SMEG fridge with its faux retro stylings for $ 3000.00 (actual Canadian retail price):
http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... b28urr--24

(Though I might feel 50% happier to look at it but could never justify the price. I still think vintage fridges have a much more appealing design, so $ 3000.00 would get several vintage fridges completely overhauled).

FAB28UPGR1.jpg
FAB28UPGR1.jpg (118.27 KiB) Viewed 2588 times

FAB32UPKRN.jpg
FAB32UPKRN.jpg (85.12 KiB) Viewed 2588 times

For $ 1200.00 I could:

- get the outstanding plumbing in the kitchen and powder room completed or
- get the outstanding electrical issues in the kitchen completed with money left over or
- pay someone to tear up the kitchen and powder room subfloors, and lay a new subfloor in the powder room for tile or
- get the missing eavestroughing replaced on one side of the house or
- get a new gas water heater installed or
- get the tree scraping the roof trimmed, the crazy stump ground out and a new large tree
planted in the front or...

...well you get the picture. I LOVE vintage appliances, but I don't want to endlessly chase a working vintage fridge which may or may not have good longevity. If I was handier and could tinker to fix them, this would be less of an issue. Those darn fridges weigh 200lbs plus so I would always need to pay for a fridge wrassler or two to move the thing, too. I am splurging on having an early 50's stove rebuilt so the new fridge will hide in the corner, while the stove will be visible from the main entrance, through the dining room.

Like I said, if someone wants to fight this battle, they can have my Admiral for free, I'll give them Ed White's phone #, etc., etc.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Willa wrote:...SMEG...

What a euphonious appellation.

Sorry about your trouble with the refrigerator. It's one of those appliances we've come to depend on, and don't have the luxury of waiting for a choice vintage machine. I can say from experience that a diet of peanut butter on crackers and canned soup gets old pretty fast. My solution was to buy a used Micro-fridge ($85) which, I discovered pretty quickly, was not such a great deal.

Willa

Post by Willa »

Manalto wrote:
Willa wrote:...SMEG...

What a euphonious appellation.

I don't know if the truly terrible name was to make it negatively memorable or what ?

While continuing to fantasize about a better, yet somehow affordable rebuilt fridge I found this site, from the UK:

http://www.thevintagefridgecompany.com/ ... ished.aspx

These look great but are even LESS affordable. A refurbished early fridge can set you back UK10,000, or more before taxes and delivery. And they've sold plenty. Wow. The fine fridge pictured below retails for UK 15,950 before taxes or delivery. I feel like I am having vapours.

01.jpg
01.jpg (674.95 KiB) Viewed 2569 times

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Land o' Goshen!

There's a stove restorer in Rhode Island that gets staggeringly high prices for his restorations. "Cape Cod" or one of the regional magazines did a story on a house that had one of his restored Glenwood stoves and he told me after that they sold like hotcakes.

Right now, I think I want a GE monitor top. That could change.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Also from the Department of Not Helping:
This popped up in our local CL recently, and I had to pretend it doesn't exist. Still worth a share, though. Same seller was also selling the stove also pictured below.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

OMG what a beautiful set - pls share link - Im heading over right now to take a look online at my bank balance....HMMMMMM!

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Kashka-Kat wrote:OMG what a beautiful set - pls share link - Im heading over right now to take a look online at my bank balance....HMMMMMM!
Warning: not a low priced set by far.
Westinghouse Fridge: https://worcester.craigslist.org/atq/d/westinghouse-refrigerator/6181458375.html
Norge Stove: https://worcester.craigslist.org/atq/d/norge-gas-stove/6181457541.html
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Willa

Post by Willa »

I'm flustered and angry just looking at them !

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

Hard to say from looking at the pics but I wonder if that fridge was restored/painted or if it really is in pristine little used condition. If the latter I could see it being worth something.... esp. with the exceptionally nicely designed hinges and temp control. Not seeing any rust chips or dents and it looks shiny. Its like collector cars - the ones in pristine condition AND good desireable design are worth more $$$$. They are more like a collector item now than purely functional.
Last edited by Kashka-Kat on Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.