Old Appliances (was "When chatting with strangers...")

Stoves, Fridges, Radiograms and more
eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Old Appliances (was "When chatting with strangers...")

Post by eclecticcottage »

Somehow I missed this-I love those stoves Lily! I've seen them on Cl around here occasionally, usually pretty reasonable in price. I had wanted an Elmira Stove Works stove for a long time for the old house but never could justify the cost-I kind of wish I had found one of those instead!

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

EC, they do pop up from time to time. I've even seen some adverted in Canada as well. I think one of them was in a post this stove made its way into here, actually.

I still can't believe how lucky we were to get it, and at that price. That reminds me...I still need to see if our big bird pan (yes, that's what we call it) will fit in there or not. Otherwise, I'm selling or donating.

I can't remember the make name--an MA maker though, but there was a '35 electric I saw once (in one of the smaller widths) that I simply adored, but knew the depth and width would have overtaken the kitchen. It would have matched the look of the sink/cabinet better, but I think what we've got will find its own harmony in time too. :D

Sometimes, I think about what you're doing, and in my mind, I think I'd keep picking various time periods to work on so I can "play" with and explore them all in a restore. Though we have so many post-enclosed porch vinyl buried bungalows here, and many, many Carpenter Gothics that would just sing if they were brought back to even half of what they were--forget what they could be. I'd probably have to force the rotation of time periods because it'd be all too easy to just keep wanting to work on those latter two. I love a lot of styles, but those two seem to really be sticking with me, deep in my heart even though I only recently even found out about Carpenter Gothics thanks to the one house we walked away from here.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

No one has stated any reservations about our 1953 Chambers model-C style-61 in "Pastel Yellow" gas stove.
Chamber Stove Models

All we had to do is have is shipped from it's original home in Chappaqua, NY to NYC, for cleaning, re-chroming of the racks and griddle, and installation of safety gas shut-off, and then shipped to our home in Nesconset, NY.

I never thought I'd enjoy it as much as I do.

Our Chambers Stove
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Your Chambers stove is fantastic. I don't know if they were ever sold in Canada - I have never encountered one for sale.

Where was the NYC place that did the stove refurbishment ? Post the link in the reference section for other old stove lovers/users.

SmellyHouse
Been here a while

Post by SmellyHouse »

JacquieJet,

That stove is a hoot! Thanks for sharing. We grew up with that exact stove, but in olive green. I still remember being fascinated by a cooktop that pulled out. Well, that and rolling the dishwasher across the room to hook it up to the sink. :crazy:

Olson185, how do you like your Chambers? I admit, when I was looking, I was not thrilled with the size of the Chambers' oven or only having 3 burners. My baby is in storage right now...but I would love to have a red stove, like the Chambers!

OKM.jpg
OKM.jpg (28.73 KiB) Viewed 1124 times

Old house lady
Knows the back streets

Post by Old house lady »

Not sure if anyone is looking for one of these, but found this on craigslist

https://poconos.craigslist.org/atq/6028257639.html

Willa

Post by Willa »

Pretty snazzy. Is it a wood stove as I see no elements knobs like would be on a gas stove ?

00F0F_2nx1aREhwQw_1200x900.jpg
00F0F_2nx1aREhwQw_1200x900.jpg (69.92 KiB) Viewed 1103 times

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

I was wondering the same thing--if it was converted or not.

The base to our stove is near identical in the way the legs seem to be fastened to the cross pieces.

I don't think this one is cast though, like ours. The ad doesn't say. If it is, the finisher did a super smooth job!
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

The one in the picture above is a wood stove with what looks like enameled steel on the outside. I suspect the beige areas were repainted (didn't look at the ad), as most of these usually had a light green or blue color in those areas. This one is from the later era of that style of stove, probably 1925-30.

As for the post above that mentioned a Chambers, I've got a Chambers 61C in my basement that came with the house. I believe the thought was that the deep well and the broiler would compensate for not having the fourth burner.

Willa

Post by Willa »

1918ColonialRevival wrote: I suspect the beige areas were repainted (didn't look at the ad), as most of these usually had a light green or blue color in those areas.

Stoves from that era came in several common color combos including the blues and greens you mentioned and also grey and pale yellow. Given that is porcelain enamel - as all stoves of that era were - the chances of it being successfully repainted are slim, and for a $ 250.00 stove on CL no way was the enamel professionally reglazed.

Here are some more exotic specimens from my files:

stove.jpg
stove.jpg (32.34 KiB) Viewed 1082 times

miss canada stove.JPG
miss canada stove.JPG (26.88 KiB) Viewed 1082 times

deco stove.jpeg
deco stove.jpeg (36.64 KiB) Viewed 1082 times

crazy stove.JPG
crazy stove.JPG (47.03 KiB) Viewed 1082 times

00505_9Ii8ZCJn83d_1200x900.jpg
00505_9Ii8ZCJn83d_1200x900.jpg (31.49 KiB) Viewed 1082 times