Old Appliances (was "When chatting with strangers...")

Stoves, Fridges, Radiograms and more
JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Old Appliances (was "When chatting with strangers...")

Post by JacquieJet »

Lily left the valley wrote:Speaking of interesting features, apparently one of the burners on our new old stove has a temperature dial instead of the usual as the other three do. I had to wonder if maybe that one used to be a hot water bin. It's in a back burner position, which is where those often were.

One of my burners has the temperatures printed on the dial, too (the "Heat Minder" element), but the burner is located in the front (and also, the era of mine is wrong for a hot water bin). When was your stove made? Pic? That is very interesting!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

JacquieJet wrote:
Lily left the valley wrote:Speaking of interesting features, apparently one of the burners on our new old stove has a temperature dial instead of the usual as the other three do. I had to wonder if maybe that one used to be a hot water bin. It's in a back burner position, which is where those often were.

One of my burners has the temperatures printed on the dial, too (the "Heat Minder" element), but the burner is located in the front (and also, the era of mine is wrong for a hot water bin). When was your stove made? Pic? That is very interesting!

I haven't checked for the exact year yet. This is the picture from the CL ad. Right now it's hard to get to, sitting between my Insight and the landlady's snowblower.

The House of Webster began selling the Country Charm Model R59, a 120/240 VAC electric stove in 1957. I'm still trying to find out when they stopped making them. I've seen references up to late 70s. They based it on 1875 wood stove plans from Rome, GA.

I've read that the staff there are still helpful if folks call with questions, and they still have parts you can buy if needed. I have not yet found any models that have the water bin I was expecting, and I haven't made time yet to call HoW to ask.

I found this ad copy from 1977: You get the charm of the old with the convenience of the new in the "Country Charmer" electric range, introduced by House of Webster, Rogers, Ark. This authentic replica of the old-fashioned kitchen range is 24 1/2 in. deep, 39 in, wide, 31 in. high to the cooking surface and 59 in. high overall. The cast iron oven, said to be a "super baker", measures 18 by 18 by 12 in. and is furnished with two chrome racks, porcelain broiler pan and an old-fashioned door thermometer.

It's made of cast iron and is designed with old-time scrolling and finished in black enamel. Overall size is 24 in. wide and 27 in. long. Cast iron door swings out (right or left hand door available). The oven, big enough for a 25 lb. turkey, is 18 by 15 by 20 in. deep and can beset in wood, brick or stone.

Hah. I just found a CL ad for one in MN. I paid half that for mine, but two burners need attention instead of one. Interestingly, that ad claims the pattern came from AL, not GA. They have more close up pics in the ad, but not one that shows the temp dial for the burner.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

Lily, that is very cool! I bet the cast iron would be wonderful to bake with. I have never heard of that range before, but is sure it a beauty!! I LOVE the coffee grinder timer!!
Usually coil burners are easy to repair... often it is loose wires or the element itself just needs replacing, which is easy enough if you can source one out. Just unscrew and unplug, typically. One of my burners stopped working, and upon closer inspection, one of the wires near the element plug-in had just come loose. An easy fix. I'm sure you can get your burners all working again in no time! A trickier thing is if your oven thermostat is malfunctioning... depending on the stove those can be tough to get. But, it's an issue that I personally haven't had to deal with, and since you already have a source for parts you are ahead of the game!

Thanks for sharing that picture/listing! My Flair came from Craigslist as well (albeit out of Detroit), I talked the estate sale manager down to $175 for it. Considering what a workhorse it is, I feel it's a steal of a deal. The neat thing with old ranges is that you can get a truly amazing stove for an amazing price if you are patient. Often people think that just because it's cool also means it is worth a lot of money... which often isn't the case. Thank goodness!
1917-ish

lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Post by lovesickest »

Jacquie, there are two other troubles that can happen to vintage electric stoves.The switch that controls the element can deteriorate, and depending on the age of the stove there are also fuses that can blow and need replacement. When the switch goes, the burners usually won't operate on anything except high - but then they are only working at halfway - like only every second coil heats up.

$ 175.00 USD for your stove is a great deal. Its mate, a double capacity fridge in Mayfair pink, is out there searching for you ! (I couldn't find an actual pic but here are some approximations):

il_570xN.42629163.jpg
il_570xN.42629163.jpg (41.83 KiB) Viewed 2750 times

7723868af23a74626d51bd3dff19f5ce.jpg
7723868af23a74626d51bd3dff19f5ce.jpg (14.09 KiB) Viewed 2750 times

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

lovesickest wrote: Its mate, a double capacity fridge in Mayfair pink, is out there searching for you !

Ahhhh!! Wouldn't that be something!?! Love it. Never seen those before. Maybe one of these years I'll find such a "unicorn"!
You are right, Lovesickest, about the switch issue. Something to be aware of, for sure. Thanks :)
1917-ish

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

And.... now look what is listed under "free stuff" on craigslist in Western MA!

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/zip/5969300282.html
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 12.39.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 12.39.47 PM.png (896.16 KiB) Viewed 2687 times
Mick...

JacquieJet

Post by JacquieJet »

Mick_VT wrote:And.... now look what is listed under "free stuff" on craigslist in Western MA!

https://westernmass.craigslist.org/zip/5969300282.html

Ahhhhh! What a find!! I hope someone who appreciates it scoops it.
1917-ish

Gothichome

Re: When chatting with strangers...

Post by Gothichome »

And it looks like it's coming out of a period kitchen. I suspect a HGTV dream kitchen gut. Well at least they are offering up to some one who will appreciate it.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Lily left the valley wrote:
JacquieJet wrote:
Lily left the valley wrote:

The House of Webster began selling the Country Charm Model R59, a 120/240 VAC electric stove in 1957. I'm still trying to find out when they stopped making them. I've seen references up to late 70s. They based it on 1875 wood stove plans from Rome, GA.

I've read that the staff there are still helpful if folks call with questions, and they still have parts you can buy if needed. I have not yet found any models that have the water bin I was expecting, and I haven't made time yet to call HoW to ask.

I found this ad copy from 1977: You get the charm of the old with the convenience of the new in the "Country Charmer" electric range, introduced by House of Webster, Rogers, Ark. This authentic replica of the old-fashioned kitchen range is 24 1/2 in. deep, 39 in, wide, 31 in. high to the cooking surface and 59 in. high overall. The cast iron oven, said to be a "super baker", measures 18 by 18 by 12 in. and is furnished with two chrome racks, porcelain broiler pan and an old-fashioned door thermometer.

It's made of cast iron and is designed with old-time scrolling and finished in black enamel. Overall size is 24 in. wide and 27 in. long. Cast iron door swings out (right or left hand door available). The oven, big enough for a 25 lb. turkey, is 18 by 15 by 20 in. deep and can beset in wood, brick or stone.

what a neat stove.. that sounds so cool and the insurance wouldn't balk because it's not a wood stove.. I want one too!! ;-)

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

phil wrote:what a neat stove.. that sounds so cool and the insurance wouldn't balk because it's not a wood stove.. I want one too!! ;-)

It really is. I'm looking forward to actually using it. It's still sitting in the garage, awaiting closing so it can be moved over there. :P

I think, including the small footprint, what I like about it is that it's still period correct looking, although not period museum perfect for the Baker Bungalow. I like that better, really.

I haven't cooked on a cast iron stove in a very long time. I'm quite curious to see how this handles, since the last one I cooked on was wood fueled. One of my professors had a property that had been in the family since time before mind, and the original structure, a simple farmhouse, was still there right down to hand pumping water and the wood fired stove in the kitchen. (And outside loo too.) She later had a small cottage built close to the pond with a dock over same, with modernization when she "was old enough to want it", as she put it. She still would use the original from time to time, and let students stay there sometimes. I still have a puzzle in a box somewhere she had given me from that house. I recall there was one piece missing, and she was tired of folks looking high and low for the missing piece when they'd put it together.

Wish I had thought to take pictures of it all back then. Ah well.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.