Old Appliances (was "When chatting with strangers...")

Stoves, Fridges, Radiograms and more
1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Old Appliances (was "When chatting with strangers...")

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

For stains in enameled cast iron sinks, start with powdered Bar Keepers Friend and the blue (not green) Scotch Brite pads made for non-stick cookware. Dampen the powder and make a paste on the stain, then be prepared to use a LOT of elbow grease. I got stains out of a 1908 clawfoot tub that had been sitting outside 30 years using this method.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:For stains in enameled cast iron sinks, start with powdered Bar Keepers Friend and the blue (not green) Scotch Brite pads made for non-stick cookware. Dampen the powder and make a paste on the stain, then be prepared to use a LOT of elbow grease. I got stains out of a 1908 clawfoot tub that had been sitting outside 30 years using this method.
Thankies. I will add it to the "soon" list of supplies needed. I knew about the elbow grease part--had to scrub a clawfoot out myself a long, long, while ago--but that was when all we had around was Comet and I didn't know about alternatives. :-)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

Lily - Yes the shelves spin 360* :D It's so unique - I think it could be used for lots of different types of kitchen storage. Here is a link to a bit of history on the White Frost Refrigerator.
www.homethingspast.com/vintage-white-frost-refrigerator/

IMG_2610.JPG
IMG_2610.JPG (91.45 KiB) Viewed 850 times

---------------------------

Here is a another vote for Bar Keepers to use on your rusty stains. Worked great for me and did not seem to dull the porcelain surface in the process.
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

Lily left the valley

TexasRed wrote:Lily - Yes the shelves spin 360* :D It's so unique - I think it could be used for lots of different types of kitchen storage. Here is a link to a bit of history on the White Frost Refrigerator.
www.homethingspast.com/vintage-white-frost-refrigerator/
Amazing! Thanks for the link too.
---------------------------
TexasRed wrote:Here is a another vote for Bar Keepers to use on your rusty stains. Worked great for me and did not seem to dull the porcelain surface in the process.
I'll start looking for sources. Our budget will remain super tight for a bit. Can't even buy stuff to try to gloop the downstairs bath wood yet which needs it desperately. One day at a time. :D
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

1918ColonialRevival

Lily left the valley wrote: Our budget will remain super tight for a bit. Can't even buy stuff to try to gloop the downstairs bath wood yet which needs it desperately. One day at a time. :D

Good thing is, both the BKF and blue SB pads are stocked at Family Dollar. I just got a fresh supply of both to do another tub with and it was $5.50 total.

1918ColonialRevival

TexasRed wrote:Some of you may remember when I purchased this Wedgewood dual fuel stove...it was years ago now. Well it is finally going to the old stove hospital for a full restoration. They are picking it up this weekend!

The company tells me it is circa 1927-28 model and a bit rare. He may have just been trying to sell me on the full restoration that is $$$?! When I purchased it, using as a decorative piece at a different house was the plan. Now it has a perfect home, so I'm okay with the investment. Too bad it takes up to 12 months for the work to be completed :-|

Recently bought an antique kitchen farmhouse sink with legs on CL.
The legs and outside will need to be painted or re-porcelained. There is a bit of enamel chipped off the drainboard, but otherwise in good condition. The stained bowl cleaned up nicely.

Trying to locate a vintage fridge to complete the 1920'ish look we are trying put back into this kitchen.

Absolutely love this unusual early icebox (1906). I've never encountered a round one before.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I could find it at a reasonable price.

Also looking for a large Monitor Top to use as a daily appliance :D

Since the sink legs won't be at eye level, you should be able to get away with using an epoxy enamel on them. If there are any deeply chipped areas, I would fill them before sanding, priming, and painting.

That stove is going to look like a million bucks when it's done. I'm surprised to hear it's a late '20s model, as I would have guessed about 1931-34 based on the styling.

Keep looking for the GE Monitor Top. They're out there and can often be had reasonably. They turn up around here from time to time - often enough that I wouldn't call them terribly hard to find. Watch - I'll say that and then I won't see one for a couple of years!

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Your Wedgewood stove will be most excellent after the stove hospital. It is excellent right now.

With the antique drainboard sink - easy with the drain assembly as the correct ones can be terribly hard to find (in my recent experience).

That round fridge ? Icebox ? is really something.

Lily left the valley

1918ColonialRevival wrote:
Lily left the valley wrote: Our budget will remain super tight for a bit. Can't even buy stuff to try to gloop the downstairs bath wood yet which needs it desperately. One day at a time. :D

Good thing is, both the BKF and blue SB pads are stocked at Family Dollar. I just got a fresh supply of both to do another tub with and it was $5.50 total.
Grand news! :text-thankyouyellow: for the tip.

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:Since the sink legs won't be at eye level, you should be able to get away with using an epoxy enamel on them. If there are any deeply chipped areas, I would fill them before sanding, priming, and painting.

That stove is going to look like a million bucks when it's done. I'm surprised to hear it's a late '20s model, as I would have guessed about 1931-34 based on the styling.

Keep looking for the GE Monitor Top. They're out there and can often be had reasonably. They turn up around here from time to time - often enough that I wouldn't call them terribly hard to find. Watch - I'll say that and then I won't see one for a couple of years!

Thanks for the tips on the legs. They dearly need some attention - I'm hoping to be able to clean them up & paint as you suggested. Rusty and chipped, but no major repairs needed.
Sink Legs
Sink Legs
IMG_2615.JPG (138.7 KiB) Viewed 822 times

I happen agree with you on the age of the stove. What little, and I mean little info I've been able to locate on the web dates it to early 30's. I'm going to be like an excited little kid wishing Christmas would get here waiting for the restoration to be completed. LOL

What I'd give for a Monitor Top... They seem scarce around here, but I'm constantly looking. Growing up, my parents owned a lodge in a mountain resort. Oh the antiques that place was furnished with - including several Monitor Tops! If only I'd known that my future would require one :violin:

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

Willa wrote:Your Wedgewood stove will be most excellent after the stove hospital. It is excellent right now.

With the antique drainboard sink - easy with the drain assembly as the correct ones can be terribly hard to find (in my recent experience).

That round fridge ? Icebox ? is really something.

Thanks for the compliment Willa. But you haven't seen the inside. :lol: The stove must have been stored in a barn for years. Quite dirty and rusty. The only place that has anything more than surface issues is in the fire box for the wood kindler. We don't plan to use the wood section ... although I'd love to have it for warming up the kitchen in the mornings. (The stove has vents for that purpose on one end)

Double thanks for mentioning the drain assembly on the sink!! I followed your story about yours. So glad you found the parts you needed. I've got my fingers crossed I'll get as lucky as you.

I'm in love with the round ice box. It is so unusual, isn't it!?!