Oven Rant

Stoves, Fridges, Radiograms and more
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Oven Rant

Post by Lily left the valley »

Olson185 wrote:The only time I lived with cabinets abutting the stove was when I first moved in with my bride-to-be's modern remodeled Levitt house 13 yrs. ago (and for 4 yrs.). Other than that, all my kitchens were a bit more traditional. So, to me, continuous counter-tops and cupboards seems "modern". Just sayin', a gap between stove and cupboard is normal and proper from my point of view.
Argh! Now that "you'll love it at Levitz" jingle is stuck in my head. Totally not your fault, though! :crying-pink:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Lily left the valley wrote:
Olson185 wrote:The only time I lived with cabinets abutting the stove was when I first moved in with my bride-to-be's modern remodeled Levitt house 13 yrs. ago (and for 4 yrs.). Other than that, all my kitchens were a bit more traditional. So, to me, continuous counter-tops and cupboards seems "modern". Just sayin', a gap between stove and cupboard is normal and proper from my point of view.
Argh! Now that "you'll love it at Levitz" jingle is stuck in my head. Totally not your fault, though! :crying-pink:

When I get 'jingle-itis" I turn to YouTube. "Baba Yetu", from my favorite PC game - Civilization IV, works for me because I can't remember all the Swahili words (of The Lord's Prayer). It's the first video game theme song to win a Grammy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Pxc-iW5wM
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

We've had both abutting and none. Our current model (the Country Charm) is now in the corner, but there is a shelf like space built in to the right of the burners, so it's like having a counter top built right in. We put the lids down there and have the spoon rest there too.

The other side is a bit more awkward because of the bump out panel that used to be for the fire in the original model this one is cast from, and now it's the electronics hatch. The half hoosier on that side hits just wrong, but since one of the Wheels cracked, we're thinking of either removing the wheels or putting in different ones that will bring the overlap of the hoosier top just over that bump out and eliminate the gap. The half hoosier acts as the counter when we cook, as we plate there.

Olson185 wrote:{snip}When I get 'jingle-itis" I turn to YouTube. "Baba Yetu", from my favorite PC game - Civilization IV, works for me because I can't remember all the Swahili words (of The Lord's Prayer). It's the first video game theme song to win a Grammy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Pxc-iW5wM

That was neat. I don't play Civ, but I have a friend who is a big nut about it. When I lived in Boston and took the T to work, there were always signs for "Learn a Language!", and one of the ones named was Swahili. That always made me smile because it made me think of my dad. Long story, and I've already side tracked. :oops:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Don M

Post by Don M »

My In-laws 1780 NE farmhouse kitchen had a 1960s large range between two doors on one wall. A wall mounted sink with dual drain boards & a Hosier cabinet on the second wall. A window, radiator, a peninsula table & exterior door on the third wall and a large doorway into the back hall/mudroom, a wood burning cook stove, and a closet door on the fourth. :lolno:

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

here's my favorite oven rant :-) i think it belongs in this thread lol..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuTbs5wQqkI