craigslist find

Stoves, Fridges, Radiograms and more
phil
Has many leather bound books

craigslist find

Post by phil »

ok It isn't vintage, it's 11 years old but I was really happy to get a dishwasher that actually seems top of the line. Made in Sweden. It was free because they didn't like the color. gee I could stick a piece of stainless to it but I actually like white better. I couldn't see much wear indicating it probably was hardly used.. I'm so happy.. I bet it was close to $1000 of our northern pesos new.. I've never heard of "ASKO" but from what I found these are even more than the Bosch or Meile ones.
Free on Craigslist.. I've gotten so many nice things this way. ;)
Attachments
IMG_2682.JPG
IMG_2682.JPG (226.89 KiB) Viewed 2334 times
IMG_2683.JPG
IMG_2683.JPG (149.68 KiB) Viewed 2334 times

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: craigslist find

Post by Manalto »

Good score, Phil! I've had some good luck (and a little bad) with Craigslist, but for the most part it's a great resource.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

phil wrote:ok It isn't vintage, it's 11 years old but I was really happy to get a dishwasher that actually seems top of the line. Made in Sweden. It was free because they didn't like the color. gee I could stick a piece of stainless to it but I actually like white better. I couldn't see much wear indicating it probably was hardly used.. I'm so happy.. I bet it was close to $1000 of our northern pesos new.. I've never heard of "ASKO" but from what I found these are even more than the Bosch or Meile ones.
Free on Craigslist.. I've gotten so many nice things this way. ;)
Apparently they've never heard of appliance spray paint either. Good for you! Hope it works well. Craig's List really is a nice resource at times.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil

Post by phil »

somehow I double posted so ignore this one
Last edited by phil on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phil

Post by phil »

last night I puled the old one out and was unhooking it and cleaning all around there. , as I was doing that I decided to have a break put the CBC news on and after the news they did a program where they call different repairmen in. One where they tightened the chain on a toilet so it kept running and they loosened the connection on a pull out kitchen tap, both simple fixes then they call in the repairmen from local companies and see what they do.. then they stop the repairmen after they do quotes. most of them tried to rip off the customer...

but then it got funny... the next one they intentionally plugged a hose on the dishwasher and called several repairmen in to see what they did.. what was funny was that was the exact issue I had before I went lookng for a "newer" one... so here I am unhooking the drain hose and yup it was plugged.. at the same time this program is on, at first I thought gee I guess I'm not a very good troubleshooter, I just went out and got a new one.. lol !

but I couldn't feel too guilty , my old one is white turning "greyge with age" and it buzzes and makes all sorts of funny noises and doesn't work too well... it was just funny how this program seemed to be weirdly in sync with exactly what I was doing at the exact same time. The drain hose was only two years old , I replaced it 2 years ago with a new one when It leaked all over the place and it was bad cracked plastic then.. now after two years the plastic is white and it is hard and brittle and ready to fail again. - scary !

the newer appliance seems to have a pretty supple hose so Ill keep it as is..

Anyway my point is change those dishwasher drain hoses, they are crap! two years is not a very good life expectancy for a part that can destroy your floor and cause all sorts of damage downstairs. We hardly even use it. My girlfriend refuses to and usually looks after dishes the manual way.. In the last couple months Ive been pretty much a bachelor and so started using it again , once a week or so. she moved away to be closer to her mom, for now. maybe I should have done more dishes lol ;-)

I usually clean everything off well before I put it in there and then just run it when it gets full to make sure they are clean. It has only been run maybe 30 times in 2 years since it had a brand new hose. but I guess maybe the blockage came from the sink drain area,, sometimes I put old cat food and veggie scraps and stuff down the garberator and maybe I let stuff build up in there once or twice with out flushing it out enough.. sometimes I dump ice cubes down and run it to clean the garberator. the fridge makes ice but once in a while I dump the lot and clean out the ice bin to make sure they are fresh.

one quick fix I saw for the plugged hose was to put a little baking soda and vinegar down the drain hose.. better to just unhook it and see how hard and cracked it is.. the issues seem to be close to where it connects under the sink. Either it clogs there or the plastic turns to petrified plastic and cracks causing an intermittent leak whenever your dishwasher drains. maybe someone makes a better quality hose.. I got mine from an appliance place and it was like 30 bucks or something. I'm sure one could plumb in a better hose like maybe 3/4 pex so this didn't happen. if you change it maybe look for a good quality one. I'm sure they exist. being corrugated plastic causes a lot of issues. they should be smooth inside not corrugated. cheap junk. I think the newer dishwasher has a better type of plastic that doesn't harden up so quickly because I inspected that one and either it's been changed or it just didn't suffer the same plastic rot like the others. maybe it's some fancy swedish plastic ;-)

It occurred to me there must be two different ways to spell this new word ,, Greyge is the Canadain/English spelling and Grayge must be the US version ;-)

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

phil wrote:It occurred to me there must be two different ways to spell this new word ,, Greyge is the Canadain/English spelling and Grayge must be the US version ;-)

I don't know; I like "greige" as a spelling. Don't know if it's right, but I guess it doesn't really matter--at least until the dictionary gets hold of it!

Anyway, congrats on the find. And thanks for the reminder to change the dishwasher hoses! It's been 8 years since I installed my dw, so I'm sure it's time.
Bonnie

phil

Post by phil »

this one came with a thick white plastic hose.. the book said it's rated for 99 years.,, I guess I'll see if it makes it that long when I'm 150ish ;-)

. and then I came home with groceries,, being on my own the frozen food didn't' all want to fit in the freezer... lol.. but I got by sticking a few items in the ice cube tray part.. Next thing I look up and the fridge is spewing water all over like crazy! so I run and shut off the valve downstairs.. must have lost 5 gallons, because the bail wire ice cube level feeler thing got blocked on the ice cube tray? scary.. I took the stuff out and cleaned up ice cube tray full of two gallons of water at this point.. and all went back to normal. why it leaked? who knows?

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

phil wrote:this one came with a thick white plastic hose.. the book said it's rated for 99 years.,, I guess I'll see if it makes it that long when I'm 150ish ;-)

. and then I came home with groceries,, being on my own the frozen food didn't' all want to fit in the freezer... lol.. but I got by sticking a few items in the ice cube tray part.. Next thing I look up and the fridge is spewing water all over like crazy! so I run and shut off the valve downstairs.. must have lost 5 gallons, because the bail wire ice cube level feeler thing got blocked on the ice cube tray? scary.. I took the stuff out and cleaned up ice cube tray full of two gallons of water at this point.. and all went back to normal. why it leaked? who knows?
As much as I understand and appreciate convenience appliances and sub parts, I love basics. Less mechanics to sort through, and digital headaches where applicable, easier to trace problems.

I remember when my inlaws had a problem with their ginormous double door fridge with the pull out freezer below. Just to get the circuit board replaced for all the add on doo dads was crazy expensive. Took the repair fellow a whopping 20-30 minutes to pull out the fridge, remove a panel and replace the board before shoving the fridge back against the wall. He was in and out of their home in an hour. Still cost them $$$.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil

Post by phil »

I agree , those printed circuit boards are a problem for a lot of things, they are too cheaply made and not standardized enough and absolutely not needed at all in a lot of cases.. washing machines. stoves fridges dryers, they don't need one. but the manufacturers know how to make money. they order them by the thousands from communist china and then every year they change them and if you need a new one tack on hundreds to the price. Originally they are cheap for the manufacturers. It costs consumers lots and results in all of them going to the landfill so there is a huge environmental cost. right now there is a little window, you can pick up white goods like washers and dryers and such that are still old school , maybe 20 years old and reliable.. i can't count the number of people Ive hard that bought a shiny LG front load washer and it turned to crap in 2 years. most of them are so worried about the machine's appearance they also replace the dryer and reduce the life expectancy because their old dryer was probably good for another 20 years..

this dishwasher probably has a PCB that will fail.. but at least it was free. I put the older one on craigslist for free and passed it on. it probably has some electronics in it too. I got lots of replies within an hour. I told him the thing would buzz loudly until I kicked it right here and showed him how to kick the toe kick panel.... lol he didn't care.. ;-)