silver spruce

Items for sale, for swaps or even for free. No commercial ads please.
cgutha
Knows the area

silver spruce

Post by cgutha »

I have a friend who has a barn full of old dimension silver spruce. Does anyone have an idea of the value or market?
various sizes, 2x4, 2x6, 2x8, some are 30 feet long.
ceg

cgutha
Knows the area

Re: silver spruce

Post by cgutha »

He says some are 60 foot long

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: silver spruce

Post by phil »

Im so far that prices here wouldn't be comparable. condition might be important, if it has nails then that may mean others dont want to mill it, the nails take out blades, but of course this is possible. some re mill old larger dimension fir from old barns and try to sell it at a profit. 60 foot seems so extreme I bet you cant' even buy lumber that long. they do make extruded paralam beams and they can be as long as they can be trucked to site. it basically little chunks of wood that are bonded with glue to form beams.

from my experience I dont see much old lumber exceeding new prices so maybe comparable, and might be sought by locals for old house repairs. I dont; see too many who are so concerned about the difference in dimension but it is noticeable.
i see some ads here with huge prices for fir , what they call live edge, which is produced by little mills. I wanted front steps and I really wanted full dimension fir, so I bought some from a small mill , it was wet. It wasn't more expensive about 2 bucks a board foot but I had to dry it and then mill it on my tablesaw and thickness planer since it normalized through the drying process and it was rough sawn. I liked the result, I have thick steps and I did a roundover on the front and built a closed staircase. I also bought 1 inch from the same guy for the risers.

that old stuff should be dimensionally stable. Im not too familiar with it. Here we have whats called blue spruce. it has a sort of silver look to it. not sure how it compares. It seems slow growing and used for ornamental trees sometimes. I think it grows naturally in the interior of BC but I could be off on that.

I never thought of spruce as a good lumber because its really a softwood but I also know that in some other areas softwoods can be quite hard if that makes sense. southern pine is a lot harder than our pine here.. Spruce and pine is mosly used for indoors, stick framing but not outdoor use. Your mileage may vary greatly there.
Maybe 2 to 3 bucks ( US) per board foot or so.. that would be my guess if it was here, but I'm far from you.
60 foot lumber is unheard of maybe he's off on that or maybe someone would pay lots to have lumber that long. I think the only places that could cut that would be a little mill where they do custom stuff. think when you see a logging truck the load might be longer than a standard 40 foot trailer but 60 foot seems even long for a logging tuck although of course it's possible.

I sometimes see ads for barn wood and they try to sell it as a feature. Like if you wanted to show wood in a restaurant setting that was sun faded for that rustic look , it might have a certain special desirability for things like that.

we have some here who go to the beach where they then set up a chainsaw mill and cut a few slabs. the old logs roll onto the beach and then the ocean carries them all over the place. lots are giant and old. they get wide slabs for tabletops and things like that. There might be some issues with the sand in blades but its possible. I think its actually illegal but im not sure anyone really cares if you are in a remote area.

It would be interesting to get more accuracy from others closer to you.