My lamp is broken!!!

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Anything non-old-house-related went here, but sometimes it was old-house related too
SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

My lamp is broken!!!

Post by SouthernLady »

I found the perfect lamp to go in my parlor on eBay, and it finally arrived today. Sadly, when I opened it, the feet of the cherub had broken off the base, and the electrical cord (it had been wired) was completely cut in two. I pulled it out of the box this way. Thankfully, it was insured, but I really, really want to fix this lamp. I have a friend that is a certified electrician and I am sure he can help me re-wire the thing, but my problem is whether or not it can be put back together. It is pot metal. And I am very, very sad... My wonderful friends helped me move my period furniture into the house all yesterday afternoon so it is finally starting to look like a home... and this was really a big let-down.

The entire lamp--original shade is perfectly fine, but clearly you can see the damage to the base.

Closeup of the damage. Both feet were broken off the base.

I have never had to deal with something with insured shipping breaking, so I don't know the procedure as to what will happen. The seller put in a claim on it, so I guess it goes from there.

Can I fix this myself? Should I take it to a jeweler? Is it doomed?

Neighmond

Re: My lamp is broken!!!

Post by Neighmond »

Bismuth solder will work on pot metal as long as you control the iron so it won't burn the spelter. Pickle it well and be sure there no grease, dirt, &c. and use boric acid flux. Tin the iron (put a thin coat of solder on it) and bind the base to the lamp so it is solidly held together, then slowly heat the break and touch the iron to it. The solder will flow towards the heat, down into the crack. Then put a small piece of pipe or tube in to run the cord through. paint the repair with gold leaf or gold Rub & Buff.

Barring that, some of the modern two part epoxies may work if you can hold it together and put something to brace the break with.

CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Post by CS in Low Hud »

Neighmond wrote: Barring that, some of the modern two part epoxies may work if you can hold it together and put something to brace the break with.

A while back I managed to break a piece of cast iron latch hardware. Someone recommended JB Weld, which I used,not expecting great success. Five years later it's still holding, despite taking daily hits from the door slamming closed. I would not have guessed it would last, but shockingly, it's been great. If you used it, you would probably need to blend in some gold paint as a final step after it dries (matched to your lamp) to cover the fix - it's natural color is a dark charcoal grey/black.

Chris

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I was going to suggest JB weld I use it to fix lots of things, but Neighmond's suggestion of bismuth solder is interesting. I haven't tried it but a friend of mine was looking for "woods metal" for a similar reason. I guess it is closely related.

interestng link here :http://scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/thermo/thermo4.html

I am into old radios and they use some metal like that to set crystals into when making crystal radios.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I think I'd go the epoxy route. I collect lamps, always a shame to see one damaged like this - any dents or dings in the brass?
Mick...