Never thought door knobs would be banned but..

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Anything non-old-house-related went here, but sometimes it was old-house related too
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Never thought door knobs would be banned but..

Post by phil »

Was it on this forum, or a woodworking forum, that someone posted that funny folding or should I call it rolling door? I saw an article with video recently where some guy made the door of two ( square) panels, each of those panels had a hinged joint like an X dividing the panels. the doors didn't hinge, they rolled to the side. weird idea.

I think demanding handles is just making more rules than we need, public buildings are different. I can even see it for new construction but what I hate to see is people having to do this sort of thing to make other things "up to code' when they reno something existing. I have an old house and the old hardware is part of what I am working hard to preserve.

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Hi there. Had to weigh in on this. My dog can open lever style handles. So far he can't manage round knobs. If he let himself out, being of a 'contrary' disposition, he'd be the source of neighbourhood mayhem. I suspect my indoor cats have been training him.....
Mal

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Mal wrote:Hi there. Had to weigh in on this. My dog can open lever style handles. So far he can't manage round knobs. If he let himself out, being of a 'contrary' disposition, he'd be the source of neighbourhood mayhem. I suspect my indoor cats have been training him.....
Mal

My long-snout used to do that too-I had to replace the oval metal knobs in the house with porcelain so he couldn't get a purchase. He let himself out one night and couldn't get back in; I heard barking and called the neighbor, who stuck his head out and bawled his own poor old doggie out, and then I looked out the door and here was my blue swine with his tail waging and snoot in the air! I felt so bad I snuck the neighbor dog a few weenies the next day!

arwenmark
Knows the back streets

Post by arwenmark »

I have to say as a disabled person with arthritis in my hands I find the door knob much easier to use, I have some doors with the handles and I continually catch my sleeves on them and have even hurt myself in so doing.
All of the public buildings should have automatic opening doors for the disabled. Homes should have what works best for the people living there, they can certainly be changed out when circumstances change.