Never thought door knobs would be banned but..

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Anything non-old-house-related went here, but sometimes it was old-house related too
phil
Has many leather bound books

Never thought door knobs would be banned but..

Post by phil »

Yup we aren't allowed any door knobs here in Vancouver anymore. Well not on houses. I think there are still going to be some politicians and building code makers that will fit the description. Geeze what's next, no windows?

http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/yourcommuni ... ility.html

Daniel Meyer
Stalwart

Re: Never thought door knobs would be banned but..

Post by Daniel Meyer »

The Velociraptor's will get them all...

lisascenic
Stalwart

Post by lisascenic »

Door knobs are not banned.

New construction requires lever style handles because they are significantly easier for people with poor hand strength, arthritis, and other common disabilities to use.

Lets not turn into an anti disability rights lynch mob, okay? It makes us look ill informed and potentially bigoted. As if we value doorknobs more than accessibility.

Sacto Diane (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by Sacto Diane (WavyGlass) »

In the same vein but slightly off topic, in Calif. they passed a law 5 years ago that goes into effect Jan 1, 2014. The short version is that any any improvement or alteration to a single-family home more than 20 years old will trigger the installation of water-saving toilets, shower heads and faucets.. It will have a huge impact on the older housing stock and maybe drive a lot of of homeowners to not pull building permits when doing a remodel.

I have been able to keep my original toilets, etc. from the 20's in my bungalow when doing bathroom remodels but it looks like no more....

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/12/11/5990331/home-improvements-will-trigger.html

Diane

shazapple
Stalwart

Post by shazapple »

I agree with lisascenic, this is a good thing and not at all uncommon. Look in any public space or new construction and I guarantee most door handles will be the lever type. I see a lot of people baulk at this news story just because of the exaggerated title.
Lee
1900 1.5 Story Cottage

Daniel Meyer
Stalwart

Post by Daniel Meyer »

But is it necessary to regulate private homes that way? Even new construction? Nobody that has the right to access my home has disability that requires levers. When or if that changes, then levers could be put in.

Public spaces, sure. Private ones? Piss off.

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

lisascenic wrote:New construction requires lever style handles because they are significantly easier for people with poor hand strength, arthritis, and other common disabilities to use.

For public or commercial buildings and multi-family dwellings a building code that requires lever-style handles makes sense because they need to serve the general public, some of which may have the issues you describe.

In the case of a single family dwelling the code should allow for, but not require, lever-style handles. Shouldn't the residents have a choice?

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

If I build a public building that's one thing but we all know that once a .gov agency has seized any amount of power they will milk it for every last drop it's worth. The day they come in and regulate my door handles and terlets they will be walking over my corpse to get to the forbidden contraband hardware.

shazapple
Stalwart

Post by shazapple »

You guys are going to be pissed when sliding automatic doors (like they have in Start Trek) are mandated :D
Lee
1900 1.5 Story Cottage

Daniel Meyer
Stalwart

Post by Daniel Meyer »

shazapple wrote:You guys are going to be pissed when sliding automatic doors (like they have in Start Trek) are mandated :D

I'm holding out for the ones in Star Wars...the super-really fast ones! You could squish salesmen and pesky relatives!