Not to beat a dead horse, but....

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Anything non-old-house-related went here, but sometimes it was old-house related too
SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Not to beat a dead horse, but....

Post by SkipW »

Notice the big advertisement, they just don't care as long as they can cash the check.

I visit regularly and try to answer questions of new visitors, but unless the site owners realize the mistakes that have been made, the site will never flourish and all the newbies will become frustrated or be redirected elsewhere.

There is no moderation, no spam traps, etc and the ad money still comes in as long as the site is up. It seems the advertisers aren't looking at site metrics and if they do, they will pull their ads and the site will go away...that is unless the owners maybe switch to online dating or something worse..
Attachments
ohw.png
ohw.png (169.46 KiB) Viewed 666 times
Etta says "WOOF"

CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Not to beat a dead horse, but....

Post by CS in Low Hud »

Hi Skip,

Yeah, that ad banner is something... but it seems to be tied into the user's recent search histories. Not that you have been searching for replacement windows, but you may have been looking at windows in general.

When I click OHW, I get a banner ad for a self-incorporation company that I was recommending to a guy I work with. I had looked up the website so that I could email him the link, and now it comes up on my screen at OHW.

I remember a year or two ago there was an individual who complained about the banner ad, and asked why OHW was putting up ads for mail-order wives from Columbia. :lol:

Chris

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

oh, so that's why anti-aging cream and flat belly ads came up when i visited OHW!!! :oops: :mrgreen:

Daniel Meyer
Stalwart

Post by Daniel Meyer »

Much of the advertising on sites now is attempting to be relevant to the site AND the user's web history/habits.

The advertisers buy ad space from a global server...say google for instance, and tell them what kind of targets they want, and then the ad service attempts to serve those on relevant sites.

Since windows get talked about there, the ads are going to show up.