Pet burial in Winter, Repost from OHW

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Anything non-old-house-related went here, but sometimes it was old-house related too
Neighmond

Pet burial in Winter, Repost from OHW

Post by Neighmond »

A morbid question

Postby Neighmond on Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:47 pm
I debated asking this, but with all the beasts that live in our old houses someone has to have an idea, or run into this-

I have a big old dog-he's 11, and I guess for a big hound that's a good span. He's starting to loose a lot of weight and slow down, and I suspect he's getting close to the big long trip. Thing is, he's happy, eats like he always did, and doesn't seem like he's in pain, he still does what he always did, only less of it and slower than before, so I can't see putting him to sleep when he's still enjoying himself.

I know where he's getting buried-it's an out-of-the way spot where he lays all the time. With the cold coming on, is it stupid of me to dig a suitable hole and securely (cement silo curbing strips) cover it, in the event that he dies sometime in the winter? I am in NW Iowa, and the other alternatives are cremation, letting the vet take of his body, (neither of which feels like a good way to treat a dog who's always been good.) I have a 42 inch fire ring, so I could thaw the ground if I had to, but it's close enough to buildings to make me nervous, and I'm not too sure how much wood it would take.

Someone has to have had this problem! What did you do?
Every man must have a purpose to strive for
A cause to fight for
A dream to live for
Because
A Man without a Dream is Dead

http://fromthedoolhousetothedoghouse.blogspot.com/

Neighmond

Re: A morbid question

Postby melissakd on Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:18 pm
I take it the spot is on your property. It seems at least as safe to dig now and secure the hole as it would be to mess around with a fire ring in the vicinity of old buildings. Your cement pieces sound like a good heavy cover. If you put the dirt back into the hole, would that be sufficiently easy to dig in the cold?

I am glad that your dog is coasting to a stop rather than struggling with every step. Nobody deserves pain less than a good old hound.

MelissaKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt

melissakd

Postby 1880 Stick Victorian on Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:35 pm
if he's happy and not in pain, i say let him enjoy the rest of his golden years... hopefully he will be around come spring time but there is nothing wrong preparing... i would say be prepared...

we are cremating the pets, at then in the end of all of us we have someone who said they will ensure the ashes are scattered where we want.
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880

1880 Stick Victorian

Postby dalmatiangirl61 on Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:44 pm
I understand your problem completely, I'm facing the same dilema :( . My 2 dals are both slipping away, its hard to watch, they used to be so full of energy, they've been my traveling companions for years and having them with me gave me the courage to camp in some of the most remote wilderness areas. I was just thinking yesterday about digging 2 graves because I'm not sure how much longer they're going to last and the ground freezes here too, and I can't bear the thought of someone else "disposing" of my best friends. There is a chance I'm going to stay through the winter here, and my pretty boy Clyde is already in the back yard, so I'd really prefer Bonnie and Buster join him there :cry: .

Kristin
McGill Clubhouse

dalmatiangirl61

Postby TinyOldHouse on Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:50 am
I'd say it's about as morbid as buying a cemetery plot for yourself, or making arrangments at a funeral parlor for a loved one... both things that need done in real life. I say dig the hole, and hopefully you will be pleasantlyy surprised and not need it this winter.
Give your pup a good scritch for me... the oldest ones are the sweetest. My 4 year old is finally getting to "good dog" stage.
See what we are doing now!
http://tinyoldhouse.blogspot.com

TinyOldHouse

Postby cs on Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:14 am
I agree... can't hurt to dig the hole. You can always fill it in in the spring (with the old dog looking on and wondering what in the heck you are up to). We have a collie who is about to turn 13. She is now deaf and mute (that affliction is a first for me in an old dog - how do you loose your barker?), she can't walk any great distances, or transverse steps, and she has cataracts over both eyes. But.... she still enjoys herself and isn't in any visible pain. She spends her days sitting on the porch and doing her "barking mime" act at the shadowy blur of the mailman. Seems happy.

Chris
http://www.saracenihouse.com

cs

Postby KathyJB on Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:29 am
I agree, I don't see anything wrong with digging the hole considering where you live.

I thought you were going to ask about buying cemetery plots for yourself and I don't find that morbid either because I did that myself. It had to do with the Cemetery Assc. not being able to buy anymore land and wanting to make sure me and my W have a final resting place.

KathyJB

Postby matchbookhouse on Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:01 pm
Neighmond, you're not being morbid, you're "pre-planning". Gosh, I've buried six cats on my property so far, and some of them I've had to dig the burial sites in advance because I knew the weather was going to be bad at the time they were euthanized due to severe illness and suffering. I want my kitties with me as long as I am here, and I am comforted by their presence. I'm sure that when you meet your dog on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge, he will appreciate the love and thought you had in burying him where he could be close to you. I hope you have him with you as long as possible though!

matchbookhouse

Postby rehabbingisgreen on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:46 pm
Couple of things. Please mark the spot! The last house I owned, I dug up remains and that was a horrible sad feeling. I garden a lot and am apt to dig anywhere if I don't know better.

A couple of years ago we lost my Bassett in the middle of winter and we buried her on my moms acreage. We trecked through snow and my husband dug through the snow, mud and mess to get the hole. We cab buy a plot for ourselves so why not have a plot prepared for our ailing best friends? It might be sad doing it though if you think about it much while you do is the only thing I'd think.

rehabbingisgreen

Post by James on Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:28 am
I've done three animal burials in the last 13 months(two within about 10 days, that was a rough stretch) so while it's maybe morbid, considering your climate, it sounds necessary. Thank God the ground rarely freezes here and never for more than just a day or two at a time.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.

James

Postby Neighmond on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:42 pm
Well, I am glad I did it-the poor old longsnout is wrapped in his blanket and buried by his doggie house where he belongs. It never could have happened if there wasn't already a hole under the snow. I have a shell I can borrow to make a cement marker, as soon as the fellow that owns it can spare it for a few days.

Thanks to all for the advice!
Every man must have a purpose to strive for
A cause to fight for
A dream to live for
Because
A Man without a Dream is Dead

http://fromthedoolhousetothedoghouse.blogspot.com/

Neighmond

Postby KathyJB on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:00 am
Aw. I'm so sorry for your loss. Even in death you are taking very good care of your friend. I'm sure he would appreciate that.

KathyJB

Postby cs on Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:16 am
Ah... Neighmond,

I'm sorry to hear it. We just lost our 13 year old dog this past Monday.

Chris
http://www.saracenihouse.com

cs

Postby matchbookhouse on Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:07 am
So sorry for the loss of your doggy children, Neighmond and Chris.

matchbookhouse

Postby S Melissa on Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:27 pm
I wondered when I started reading this old thread, if the end hadn't come. I'm sorry for both of you, Neighmond and CS - dogs are such dear friends, and it's always heartbreaking to lose them so quickly (while other nasty irritants seem to stay forever, why is that do you suppose?). I remember when we buried one of the "good dogs" one gets now and then in life, while standing in the pouring rain at her newly dug grave, my nearly brand new husband said to me, "ya know, I don't think I'd feel this bad if it was you I was digging the hole for, rather than Patches." I should've known. :D I'm sorry for your losses.
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home

S Melissa

Postby catgb56 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:49 am
I'm so sorry for your fur baby loss. I know how hard this is...hugs to both you and CS.
"You may say that I'm a dreamer; but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join me and the world will live as one." - John Lennon

catgb56

Postby Don M on Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:52 pm
So sorry for your loss but it sounds as though they had good long runs. We have several Corgis & barn cats buried by the corner of the summer kitchen & Susan's big eventing mare is buried on the hill in the upper pasture; that required our back hoe! Don
1840 Limestone Farmhouse