I Painted My Fence...

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

I Painted My Fence...

Post by lovesickest »

...after considering doing this for the last six years.

The fence was an antique of unknown provenance, allegedly from "eastern Europe", found on Craigslist. It has cast features (sort of fleur de lis spear things) but mostly hand forged elements, too. It had several old coats of paint including ochre, bright green, bright orange and a final sad coat of aluminum on some portions. Many years ago there had been some discussion with the not yet ex of having it media blasted - but some parts were thin and fragile so we were worried that this would be destructive. In any event - it was installed as is. The patina on the back of the fence was better than on the front. I spent many hours pondering this and even scraped off most of the loose crud a couple of years ago - then I chickened out.

BeforeRustRemediation.jpg
BeforeRustRemediation.jpg (68.41 KiB) Viewed 2280 times

I just couldn't stand it any longer, so I did my YouTube, etc. research - treated it with Ospho to remediate the rust (not forgetting to rinse thoroughly then allow to dry before painting) then used a brush (well - many dollar store brushes) to coat it with alkyd primer. I had considered getting the airless sprayer and air compressor from the tool library for this job - but since I had never used a sprayer before, I was concerned about my handling abilities as well as the nightmare of cleaning out a borrowed sprayer with paint thinner, etc. So brush I did. So much brushing. Many neighbours, bystanders and complete strangers offered their $ 0.02 - including worried questions that the red oxide was the final colour. Some were disappointed that it WASN'T the chosen color.

AfterPrimedJul8.jpg
AfterPrimedJul8.jpg (38.84 KiB) Viewed 2280 times

In Toronto, 99% of iron fences are painted black. There are a few old fences or sections that have rusted back to the metal color plus rust. There are a few oldsters that have remnants of a sort of malachite green paint. However - there was no malachite green anything on my house color - so I wasn't feeling very confident about this choice - despite its local authenticity. I was curious about a not black fence - so I
painted a small section with beige spray paint - just to satisfy my curiosity. The lighter color really popped...but I hated the glossy finish as it really showed the lumps, bumps and pits.

I discovered that I could get a flat white tintable alkyd rust paint in local hardware store's brand (before inventory becomes extinct) - so I matched the pale yellow of the front door - and started painting. Some frowns and concerns from passers by and my elderly neighbour. So far neighbourly consensus has been positive. After I get into the last nooks and crannies and tight curves with an artist's brush then I am really done painting it. Between the scraping, rust treatment, etc. it only took about 40 hours - which was faster than I had expected. My painting hand is sure stiff, though.

afterfencej3.jpg
afterfencej3.jpg (47.79 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
Last edited by lovesickest on Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

lovesickest

Re: I Painted My Fence...

Post by lovesickest »

Close up of the pattern. It has flowers - and pods = poppies (?) though someone suggested thistles. The pods are the most fragile and the most disintegrated.

AfterFencecu.jpg
AfterFencecu.jpg (21.31 KiB) Viewed 2279 times

JRC

Post by JRC »

Nice job!

shazapple
Stalwart

Post by shazapple »

Very nice. It really goes well with the portico.
Lee
1900 1.5 Story Cottage

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

This looks really nice! The details in the fence are much more visible in the lighter color. Good choice!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

Each section is a veritable sampler of the available stylistic details of the day. I think a lot of it came out of a catalog and was welded(rivetted?) together. Not that this diminishes it in any way. These details are so often destroyed and never put back, doing so is such a valuable addition to your streetscape.
BTW, trying to spray paint fences is such a difficult thing, you need to coat every surface and have enough paint to seep into the joints. If you did try to spray it, unless you back up your work with some sheetgoods, like plywood, all you do is create overspray. Cover any cars at the curb.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Don M

Post by Don M »

Very nice work; interesting design!

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

Definitely a great choice with the lighter colour. (notice the Canadian spelling)
Works with your house colours, pops from the foliage... perfect.
I'm surprised you keep track of hours spent. I gave up on that years ago, as it got too overwhelming.

Looks beautiful!
Warren

bfarwell
Been here a while

Post by bfarwell »

beautiful fence, and tying it in the trim was a great idea.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Love sickest, the fence looks great and you just up scaled your home from Victorian middle class to Victorian upper middle class. From experience I would worn you about spaying out side but Casey beat me to it. Spent a whole weekend washing a neighbours car down after fence painting. And there was not a breeze to be had that day. Never again. I think the round florets are sun flowers. A hall mark of the aethsetic period and it would be right in the age range of your home.