Our new old house!

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Our new old house!

Post by Nicholas »

CedarLaneBungalow wrote:Thanks everyone! Nicholas, I'm not sure what your kitchen is like but ours really could have used the taller cabinets so instead of replacing upper cabinets to give them height, I added a 1x4, chair rail molding and a large crown to the top. You may not notice much of a difference in the photos but when you are in the room it really transformed the space with the cabinets being taller. It was also a very inexpensive! My shelves are just unpainted wooden brackets from home depot and unfinished oak stair treads!

Showed my wife the pics and agreed it was a nice redo.

The before and after pics of our small kitchen are in my brag book, page 2.

If you look you can see that ours is about the same height as yours, with the same spacing above, but have no character at all, crown molding will be easily attached. We do have a wood ceiling, dark slate flooring, as well as faux granite looking formica countertops, can't do anything about that now, but white cabinets might help and paint is cheap.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

CrestwoodCottage
Knows the back streets

Post by CrestwoodCottage »

Nicholas,

If you wanted to change the looks of your cabinets doors, you could easily add to them to make them shaker style. Since they are flat you could have a lot of options on ways to change the look before you paint. If you do decide to paint I can suggest that you use the BIN 123 shellac primer and you won't have to sand anything down, just give them a good cleaning before hand. For a top coat I used Benjamin Moore Advance Alkyd paint and it's similar to an oil but waterbased for easy cleanup.
*Formerly known as CedarLaneBungalow*

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Thanks Cedar, that was my next question, the how to. Thanks for the suggestions.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

matchbookhouse
Been here a while

Post by matchbookhouse »

Cedar Lane, the BIN primer and the BM alkyd paint changed the dark wood cabinets you originally showed to the white painted cabinets? Wow! That's what I want to do in my kitchen, because I have red (gulp!) walls and a red-and-white stove. The fact that the BM paint you used seems to be a bright white is a plus, as well as the fact that it's not oil-based, because my stove uses gas and I'm afraid of the fumes mixing. Thanks SO much for posting those tips - now I can call up my painters!

CrestwoodCottage
Knows the back streets

Post by CrestwoodCottage »

Yes, the BIN primer and BM paint did all that! I even hand brushed/rolled them because the primer is pretty thin but covers pretty well and dries super fast so you can sand any brush marks before painting with the BM paint which is self leveling...like 75%...I just brushed around the molding on cabinet doors and then rolled over flat areas immediately. The primer is sort of a pain because you have to clean up with denatured alcohol or ammonia but I just threw out my rollers and only cleaned my brush but the paint easily cleans up with water and mild soap. There are a ton of blogs with people painting their cabinets with these paints that you can google for more info but I'd say mine are holding up pretty well so far and I don't think the paint is fully cured just yet.
*Formerly known as CedarLaneBungalow*