Hello from Royal Oak, MI!

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
pappster85
Settling in

Hello from Royal Oak, MI!

Post by pappster85 »

New to the group and slowly working my way thru my 1919 mission - craftsmen style home. (I can't seem to figure the style out for sure) I look forward to reading the progress of others and sharing that of my own. My poor home had been remuddled in the late 50s. Lets cover this old plaster with paneling! Ugh....

http://s1026.photobucket.com/user/pappster85/library/Home%20Exterior%202014-2015

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Re: Hello from Royal Oak, MI!

Post by TexasRed »

Welcome to WavyGlass pappster85.

If it makes you feel any better, 85% of the homes in my southern town fell victim to the 1950's paneling fad. It was an easy way to cover up any blemishes and sometimes it was just a "fresh new look". LOL Most things can be undone with time and care.

I believe I can see the Craftsman element on the porch columns, more pictures would help us identify your architectural style hint, hint.

Oh BTW, we love pictures!!

Good luck with your project. Visit often, there is a wealth of knowledge & experience on this forum.
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Nice looking bungalow! We would love to see some interior shots when you have time. Yes, we had paneling too - over 7 layers of wallpaper. Our cheap paneling was never a good look!

Welcome to Wavy Glass.
Diane

pappster85
Settling in

Post by pappster85 »

Thank you for the greetings and feedback. I plan to upload more photos soon. Of all the acts of stupidity, they were comparably lazy. This has made undoing their mess a more simple process. I've only had the home since January of this year and the changes are already huge. For a DIY type that is. I really look forward to interacting with the group for influence and ideas along the way!

nlswitz
Been here a while

Post by nlswitz »

Welcome! We too had previous owners join the paneling craze. They tore off original wood trim to put ugly, cheap paneling. Enjoy the journey of discovery in your new old house

kelt65
Stalwart

Post by kelt65 »

"Craftsman with a Mid-Century Drive By"

Congrats on the new house!

kelt65
Stalwart

Post by kelt65 »

Paneling's not so bad; at least you can simply remove it. It'd be worse if it'd been OpenConcepted.

There's a wealth of Craftsman / Arts & Crafts supplies for restoring your house, all over the web. It's almost a cult. :P

Bradbury and Bradbury for pricey Arts & Crafts wallpaper, mostly designed by the Arts & Crafts originators themselves (like William Morris):
http://www.bradbury.com/index.html

Vintage Hardware has great lighting, including original and repros:
http://www.vintagehardware.com

House of Antique Hardware has great odds and ends:
http://www.houseofantiquehardware.com

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

welcome to the neighborhood where you will find friendly helpful people who love old houses....some people think we're nuts...we just put hexes on them....
....jade

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Pep poster, let me also at my welcome to Wavyglass. A very nice home you have.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ops, auto correct. Pappster