Our soon to be new old house

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
ashevillian
Settling in

Our soon to be new old house

Post by ashevillian »

We will be closing on our next big project at the end of the month. It was built in 1908 and with the exception of a few dropped ceilings, 70's paneling in a few rooms, and a gutted kitchen, the house is pretty original. While no longer located in a local historic district, it is within a national historic district (Chestnut Hill Historic District http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/asheville/che.htm). Another bonus is that it is only a 1.5 minute walk from our current house! This will help when moving!

Our first big project is to fix a number of foundation problems including replacing about 70' of the brick foundation that is failing beyond repair. Other than that, most of the repairs/updates are fairly minor in comparison including stripping exterior paint/repainting, restoring the remaining 12 original windows, adding 1.5 bathrooms, replacing the knob and tube, and replacing the HVAC. We will also be replacing the replacement vinyl windows with custom wood windows to match the originals.

Here is the listing picture:

ashevillian
Settling in

Re: Our soon to be new old house

Post by ashevillian »

97 Broad St.jpg
97 Broad St.jpg (42.37 KiB) Viewed 1004 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ashevillian, welcome to Wavyglass. Nice home, your project lists sounds pretty standard for a home of that vintage. Do what needs to be done, but the rest could probably Waite. Our advice here is live in the home for a while. It will tell you what it needs. Oh, and pictures, we love pictures.

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

Congratulations on your new home! Very nice. More pics when you get moved in please.

It looks like it has a large porch - wrap around?. I LOVE big front porches. Makes for some wonderful relaxing evenings.

Oh and welcome to Wavy Glass !
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

welcome indeed ashe!!
'fairly minor'?? wow, you will do just fine with that good attitude...
great to hear you will be restoring your windows and possibly replacing the new ones...
you will find plenty of help and a good dose of support too...
...jade

ashevillian
Settling in

Post by ashevillian »

I was thinking more about the cost of the different jobs...the foundation work is a quarter of my over all budget! Since I will be doing most of the other jobs myself, they will be much much harder and more of a pain! To make it worse, I have 6 months to finish the work since I was able to get a construction loan and that's the banks standard time frame.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Nice house, would like the peek inside. Asheville is a cool place. Sister and hubby bought near there, about 30 miles, an 1890's cottage on land. They showed me that drum festival deal that Asheville puts on, that is crazy cool.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

ashevillian
Settling in

Post by ashevillian »

I will add interior pictures when we close as the pictures online aren't recent. The current owner bought the house at the end of last year and then starting stripping wall paper, updated the electrical service, and gutted the kitchen to the studs. Due to personal issues, he has to sell it now. His loss is definitely our gain.

Texasred....yes, the porch wraps around. It's very nice and will be the second big project after foundation work. It needs to be fully rebuilt as the flooring and joists are rotten. I don't know about everyone else, but the T&G decking is crazy expensive. The cheapest I can find it here is $1 a linear foot (at that's with my contractor discount). I will have close to $2,000 in decking alone! I would typically have a quarter of that on a similarly sized deck using PT deck boards for a new house.