1910 farmhouse

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Neighmond

Re: 1910 farmhouse

Post by Neighmond »

I would think your house would look fine with some of that-It probably had a little when new.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I love it - though personally I may go a little more muted than the red, perhaps a darker shade of the gray/ greens?
Mick...

Jo_S
Knows the area

Post by Jo_S »

Yes, I don't want a bunch of colors, let alone bold ones (although the hubby would). Maybe just a few subtle touches of soft green/gray.

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Hi Jo! Welcome to the site...thanks for your kind words on my place. I had to come search for yours. What a great little house! (I'm a fan of smaller houses, if you couldn't tell)
I think you are definitely on the right track opening up that porch again. It will look great when done. As for colors, as you stated many shades go well on a Queen Anne but not so well on small, simple houses. I don't think, however, that 3 different colors would be too much. Some accents on the porch would really make details pop. But whatever the choice, have fun and keep us posted!
-Eric
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

my house wears three colours well, and it is only a little baby house-yours ought to do all right.

smaller tree.jpg
smaller tree.jpg (74.33 KiB) Viewed 838 times

Front flag.jpg
Front flag.jpg (131.77 KiB) Viewed 838 times

Jo_S
Knows the area

Post by Jo_S »

Neighmond, that's a sweet house...and..and...you have fish scales! *swoon*

Eperot; thanks for the welcome. :) I'll have to think about colors on the house; I am confident where to put them on the porch as trim, not so much on the house - probably because I'm so stuck in my mind on simple-farmhouse style.

In any event, our miniscule budget isn't going to allow anything major on the outside for some time to come; even the porch looks like next year, alas, due to some other priorities.

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

I hear that. It's always a delicate act of budgeting for projects when you have to pay for the rest of your world at the same time.
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

neighmond, what is that on top of the chimney or your sweet little house?

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Personally, I would dial it back a bit. Otherwise, I think it would need to have some elements from the porch repeated elsewhere for the house to look completed. I like the porch columns.

Others will probably have a better idea of mixing the house style with new trim.
Diane

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

heartwood wrote:neighmond, what is that on top of the chimney or your sweet little house?

There is a lightning rod on the back and a sort of turk's head looking cap that keeps aminals and ice out.

chimley.jpg
chimley.jpg (17.84 KiB) Viewed 801 times