Painted cabinets 2.0

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Nettie
Been here a while

Re: Painted cabinets 2.0

Post by Nettie »

Yes they are real soapstone and we cut and fabricated it ourselves. I love them. We've had them almost 5 years now and they are still one of my favorite things. We did the same thing with our cabinets- we kept the bases and just replaced the doors and hardware. We removed the multiple layers of vinyl flooring and the layer of plywood covering the original floors and refinished them.

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Netti, I love the color of the cabinets. Your kitchen is very pretty! Have you sent us pictures of the rest of your home, including the outside? I am lusting after your river rock pillars!

I used Cabinet Coat paint in an ivory color when we redid the kitchen and find that it is very easy to clean and very durable. The cabinets were white before but they were very hard to keep clean and chipped easily. Cabinet Coat made a huge difference in the way the cabinets look.
Diane

Nettie
Been here a while

Post by Nettie »

Hi Diane:
Over the years I have posted pics yes, but most of the exterior pics are on the old house web. The pillars came about because when we bought the house this was a north facing porch with overgrow arborvitae bushes and it had been rotten and rebuilt with plywood floors and plywood boxing in the turned posts. On the north side is a lake and we get strong winter winds blowing across the lake and big snow drifts in front of this porch. My husband was a stone mason at the time and decided to pour a cement porch that could withstand this beating. We have a fieldstone foundation so we picked rocks from our back field and used them to cover the cement and then he built columns around the turned posts because the bottoms were rotten as well and yet I didn't want them taken down.
Thanks for the compliments.

Nettie
Been here a while

Post by Nettie »

Here are a couple more exterior pics. It's a prairie box with the kitchen added onto the back side of it. There are porches on 3 sides.
Attachments
house resized.jpg
house resized.jpg (129.88 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
house, frost 002.JPG
house, frost 002.JPG (156.54 KiB) Viewed 1173 times

clover
Been here a good while

Post by clover »

Can you tell me what color the cabinets are? I seriously considered green for my mudroom cabinets, but couldn't find a color I loved so I went with white and painted the walls green. Someday I plan on redoing the kitchen and would love to get my color cabinet fix.

And are those lights Schoolhouse Electric, or just something similar?

nlswitz
Been here a while

Post by nlswitz »

I like your cabinet color too. I'm thinking of painting one section of my cabinets as well. Do you have many coats of paint that you had to paint over?

Nettie
Been here a while

Post by Nettie »

Clover: The color is "Retreat" by Sherwin Williams. Yes they are Schoolhouse Electric, great company to work with.

Nlswitz- I had a couple coats on top of a primer. Test patches didn't seem to adhere well so I took the doors and drawers off and lightly sanded them all.

clover
Been here a good while

Post by clover »

Nettie wrote:Yes they are Schoolhouse Electric, great company to work with.

I thought so. I have three of those with identical shades in my mudroom, in two different sizes, with black bases. They were extremely helpful over the phone, when I had no clue if the sizes I was choosing were right for the space. I was just hoping you'd say they were something cheaper because I want to replace all my fixtures with Schoolhouse, but those three alone set me back almost $1,000!

Your finishes remind me a lot of my mudroom - minus the green cabinets. I was gung-ho for green but my husband was hesitant. So few people go with color these days! I was also considering red for my kitchen cabinets eventually, and was afraid the two together would look like Christmas all year round.

Nettie
Been here a while

Post by Nettie »

My husband was hesitant thinking it would be too dark and the combo with the walls would clash but after we got it on then he remarked on how much he likes it now.

I wish we did have a mudroom but the entrance that we use comes right into this kitchen.

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Love your house and your husband did a great job on the pillars!
Diane