Hello!

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
CherylS67 (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Hello!

Post by CherylS67 (WavyGlass) »

Hi, my name is Cheryl and I'm in the process of buying a 1929 bungalow. I've wanted to buy a bungalow most of my adult life. I divorced my husband of 23 years earlier this year, so this house is a huge deal for me, I get to buy what I want.

I didn't choose my house, it chose me. I had specific criteria, 3 bedrooms being one of the criteria. This home has 2 bedrooms, it was never on my list to view. One day I was going to be looking at a house around the block, my realtor suggested we look at this house too, it was only 2 bedrooms but so "me."

I knew the moment I walked in the house, I tried to resist it, I took my time, touching every beautiful feature. I told my realtor as we left, I love this house, but I can't buy it, I need the third bedroom.

I went home and couldn't stop thinking about the house. I emailed my realtor and told her that house was exactly what I was looking for, and I needed to see it again, this time with my sister, daughter, and best friend. They all loved the house, my 15 year old daughter said, can we buy it, please. I put an offer in a couple days later.

My house is beautifully preserved inside. it's no Evil Queen (have you read that blog?). There are things I need to do indoors, like strip the paint off the brick fireplace, most of my work is outside, the house is covered in aluminum siding.

the inspection went well considering the age of the house. A slow draining tub, hole in a soffit, and chimney issues are all that need to be fixed. We're getting estimates and I'm getting cash at closing for the repairs, except the slow drain, I want that fixed in case it's extensive. Here's a crazy coincidence, my brothers are licensed contractors, one is a Mason and the other is a roofer. The radon levels are high, the seller is putting in a mitigation system. I'm talking to them about giving me the money for that so I can research and choose the best system.

I'll only post a pic or two so I don't jinx my closing. These are from realtor website.
Attachments
I love the swinging door between the kitchen and dining room.
I love the swinging door between the kitchen and dining room.
image.jpg (51.26 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
Original entry door, storm door going away some day, there is a mail slot under the light switch.
Original entry door, storm door going away some day, there is a mail slot under the light switch.
image.jpg (56.1 KiB) Viewed 1439 times

heartwood

Re: Hello!

Post by heartwood »

kismet!
what a lovely house that, we hope, will soon become your lovely home...are those original windows??? you will get plenty of kudos and support if/when you need help getting them in good working order...
look forward to following your adventure!
...jade

Fanner (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Post by Fanner (WavyGlass) »

How exciting - best of luck with your closing. We look forward to seeing every.single.detail. when you are officially "in" <lessthansubtlehint>!
Proudly maintaining our 1904 Victorian since 1999

CherylS67 (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by CherylS67 (WavyGlass) »

Thank you. I feel like I'm surrounded by greatness, just looking around these forums with these beautiful grand homes and talented homeowners.

I love to over share so there will be plenty of detail photos. I'm going to see my mortgage officer right now to make sure all my ducks are in a row.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Very attractive; we had a radon system installed; it was pretty straight forward. Good Luck.

Bungalove
Knows the back streets

Post by Bungalove »

Lovely pictures and home! You said, "The radon levels are high, the seller is putting in a mitigation system. I'm talking to them about giving me the money for that so I can research and choose the best system." That's perfectly reasonable. Have your realtor put a clause in buy-sell or responses that that's what you want. The sellers could give you an allowance for a mitigation system that's held in escrow until you pick the one you want. We've done that before with a roof repair -- the buyer wanted to pick her own roofer yet we didn't want to give her money that might have been used for something else, so it was written into the contract. Best of luck with your great new house! (And, yes, old houses always need something fixed, as you know.)

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Such a house! Homey looking!

nlswitz
Been here a while

Post by nlswitz »

Congratulations. We've only been in our new old house for 21 months... its been fun

lisascenic
Stalwart

Post by lisascenic »

Very nice house!

(I don't suppose you live in Northern California by any chance? I need a good mason for my bungalow.)

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Welcome to Wavyglass, as you have discovered we have a lot of bungalow owners here. And you will be the owner of what looks to Be great one. Also, your new old home is as grand as the largest and fanciest home here.