Our Main St Mania

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Tracey (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Our Main St Mania

Post by Tracey (WavyGlass) »

Hello All,

Hubby and I recently purchased a 1900 Victorian home in his hometown. It is located in the Citronelle Railroad Historical District of (what is now ) our town. I contacted the local Historical Society for information and they provided me with some interesting facts.

"Tracey... Here is what I have found out about your home from information we have about it in a walking tour of Citronelle. XXXXX MAIN STREET (formerly XXX MAIN STREET). One story and a half; plain weatherboard; Victorian; full length, attached, wrap around to the right shed porch, parapeted, with turned posts and rooster head brackets. Very thick boards were used in the attic, in order to support a huge cypress tank, which held water. This was one of the first houses in Citronelle which attempted to have running water. 1903 records show this was the home on Indiana native A.K. Kearns."

We bought it from one of his childhood friends who has become very ill over the years. She alone, has been unable to maintain or even clean. The house is a mess. So for the last week or so we have been just trying to get it cleaned out. 48 thirty gallon trash bags later (no joke) it is looking much better. So when I have before and after pictures, my before pictures will begin after we cleaned it out. There is no way I would have allowed anyone to see it the way it was. We have not let anyone other than ourselves and our teenage boys in the house... I now have pictures of the house that I can post, finally.

Hubby is in the process of ripping out the very ugly, very nasty shag carpet that is still upstairs and on the staircase. It still has a "smell" but it improved when we moved all her furniture out. I am going tomorrow to take down all her drapery. I think that it is also holding the nasty stench. I'm sure when that carpet comes out will make all the difference.

If it is okay with WavyGlass I want to start this thread and use it to document our progress as we go from this point forward.

I'll be back shortly to start posting the BEFORE pictures.

Tracey (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Re: Our Main St Mania

House in 1900 when building was completed.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1419347273600.jpg
FB_IMG_1419347273600.jpg (46.25 KiB) Viewed 1759 times

Tracey (WavyGlass)
Settling in

The. pic with screened porch is when the PO grandparents purchased it in 1975. The other I took last week.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1419347252298.jpg
FB_IMG_1419347252298.jpg (65.78 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
FB_IMG_1419347232138.jpg
FB_IMG_1419347232138.jpg (118.69 KiB) Viewed 1759 times

Tracey (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Other views..
Attachments
FB_IMG_1419733720106.jpg
FB_IMG_1419733720106.jpg (103.52 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
FB_IMG_1419347307734.jpg
FB_IMG_1419347307734.jpg (53.5 KiB) Viewed 1759 times

CherylS67 (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by CherylS67 (WavyGlass) »

Beautiful, I can't wait to see the inside!

Don M

Post by Don M »

I think you are correct; removing all the material (carpet, draperies etc.) should make a big difference. If the POs smoked or cooked a lot of fried food then washing walls, removing wall paper & old paneling should also help. If there were pets kept in the house that had "accidents" then that may be a more difficult situation to solve. Sealing the walls with new primer & paint will make a big difference. Good luck with your work & we all look forward to seeing your before & after photos as you progress in making the new house your home.

Tracey (WavyGlass)
Settling in

I can't upload any more photos. It keeps telling me they are too large.
I don't understand because they were taken with the same devices as the last photos.

I hope to figure it out soon.. The house is finally completely cleaned and we are shooting for February 1 as our move in date.

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

That's one big house. No wonder your pictures are large (little joke).

Since it is Feb. 1 today, I suppose you are busy moving in. What room has been anointed as the first room to tackle?
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

Jo_S
Knows the area

Post by Jo_S »

What a fantastic house! Can't wait to see more pics.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Tracy, welcome to wavy glass. I see you first joined in Dec. been lurking in the background, waiting to spring that great looking home on us. Looking at the three images other than the adding and removal of the screened in porch the home looks as built.