Our addition by day

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
nlswitz
Been here a while

Our addition by day

Post by nlswitz »

Most of my posts here have been about my ongoing wood refinishing project. Our other big project is to add a bathroom, laundry room, master closet and den (for my husband). I've been managing this while my husband worked on pulling the funds together. Our loan/refi closed at the end of November.

And :D after three rain delays we started construction today. Here are photos of what was...

It wasn't a nice room mostly because the wall of windows didn't open and the room became a sauna the heated up the entire house. We were able to sell the heater and have salvaged the stained glass....although it doesn't really go with the house.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (174.49 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (187.87 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (203.33 KiB) Viewed 4741 times

nlswitz
Been here a while

Re: Our addition by day

Post by nlswitz »

And here are photos after the first day of demolition.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (247.72 KiB) Viewed 4740 times
You can see where there used to be bathroom and bedroom windows.
You can see where there used to be bathroom and bedroom windows.
image.jpg (228.6 KiB) Viewed 4740 times

nlswitz
Been here a while

Post by nlswitz »

One last post for today. When you look at the south side of the house there is a weird little appendage...that will be gone. The drawing shows the new elevation. We're not sure if we'll have the funds for the deck, but the is going to be so much better.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (255.92 KiB) Viewed 4737 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (195.98 KiB) Viewed 4737 times

Don M

Post by Don M »

We look forward to seeing all your progress!

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

OMG! First I thought the addition and stuff was new and you wanted kudos for it. Thankfully it's the opposite. So hearty kudos for getting rid of that mess.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

nlswitz
Been here a while

Post by nlswitz »

Day 2
Except for the floor the ugly sunroom is all gone! The house used to be green (looks kind of blue in photo)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (174.4 KiB) Viewed 4690 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (202.01 KiB) Viewed 4690 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (246.42 KiB) Viewed 4690 times

fugaziosbourne (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by fugaziosbourne (WavyGlass) »

For some reason I like the black and white tile patio you now have in your back yard.

Al F. Furnituremaker
Stalwart

Post by Al F. Furnituremaker »

Way to go in getting rid of that ugly addition. So many houses have been ruined by inconsiderate add-ons. I wonder what the original owners were thinking. You've got a great house and are making it even better.

nlswitz
Been here a while

Post by nlswitz »

Sombreuil wrote:OMG! First I thought the addition and stuff was new and you wanted kudos for it. Thankfully it's the opposite. So hearty kudos for getting rid of that mess.
Casey

Speaking of a mess, we had to go before the Cultural Heritage Board last year to get approval for this project. At one point some members were know of nitpicking various details. Then the head of the board who lives in the neighborhood, reminded them that "that back part of the house is a mess" and suggested they approve the plans.

fugaziosbourne wrote:For some reason I like the black and white tile patio you now have in your back yard.
fugaziosbourne wrote:I'm hoping that will gone by week's end...

alfort wrote:Way to go in getting rid of that ugly addition. So many houses have been ruined by inconsiderate add-ons. I wonder what the original owners were thinking. You've got a great house and are making it even better.

I'm hoping that whoever comes after me won't be saying "what were they thinking?" Meanwhile it seems as if my personal mission has been to get rid of the 50's, 60's, and/or 70's...

Since we have the Christmas and New Year's holidays in the next two weeks, I'm not looking for too much to be done until January... then hopefully we will make steady progress.

Superbeetle
Been here a while

Post by Superbeetle »

That's going to be such an improvement!