Four more windows done!

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Mike
Settling in

Four more windows done!

Post by Mike »

Finally wrapped up installing the last sash and installed and the hardware on my living room windows last nite. My putty tooling skills are improving, thanks to the help from all your suggestions, and my painting to the line is looking less amateurish. These are the most used windows in the house so next summer will be nice having some easy opening/closing windows.

I haven't actually tracked my time but I used to think it took about 20-25 hours a window but in reality its more like 35 hours a window. This is 13 of 33 complete, next summer I'd like to restore two windows in my daughters room and two more on the main floor. Four windows seems to be the max I can reasonably complete in a summer right now. When my kids get older I'm hoping the timeline will speed up when I can devote more than an hour a nite to window work, until then baby steps!

BEFORE
[img=left]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Cb0kI0rx7oU/U67ihgeCA2I/AAAAAAAABoo/61PuDcVWDW8/s640/blogger-image--1960866352.jpg[/img]

[img=left]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-lRWN__8iEOI/U67iflRJQwI/AAAAAAAABog/_6jr6OpNuDI/s640/blogger-image-1312281143.jpg[/img]

AFTER

[img=left]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-IG6gC2VwkUE/VGDbtO6wabI/AAAAAAAABwI/x9fytWbafXk/s640/blogger-image--351415468.jpg[/img]
Mike
1927 Colonial Revival
Fargo, North Dakota
http://oldhousejournal.blogspot.com/

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Re: Four more windows done!

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Wow! Beautiful windows/work.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

wonderful! lookin' good! members here never cease to amaze me!

6 over 6's typically take us 18-22 hours including removal and reinstall and that's with a shop set up for all our needs and experienced employees...

...jade

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

So much nicer

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Gzzz, great looking windows, you would never know they were once painted. Well done

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

They look happy to be out from under the PAINt!

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

something to consider for the next round...
when we stain the interior, we dye the bedding putty with a dry powder pigment (available at craft or art store...that way you don't see the light putty color against the darker stain...only nerds like me would notice the putty!
...jade

clover
Been here a good while

Post by clover »

Very nice!

Your timeline sounds eerily similar to ours. It takes my husband about 35 hours a window, and he rarely has more than an hour at a time in the evening. For several years his only motivation to get them done would be a new baby on the way and a kid that needed their room finished. Now that there are no more babies on the way, but still no free time (4 kids ages 6 and under), the project is stalled. At this point, I would be jumping for joy if he was doing four windows a summer!

Mike
Settling in

Post by Mike »

Thanks everyone. Bigger thanks to everyone who posted the benefits to keeping originals and all the advice on on how to restore them, otherwise I might have become the dreaded PO who replaced their windows.

Great tip Jade on the putty, it has always bugged me the contrast and I wondered if there was a trick, I only have two windows left that will be stained, but I will give it a shot on those.

I don't know what it is, but the divided glass and muntins always seem to warm the room up after they are re-installed. All summer we get used to the triple track in the opening and when the sashes go back in the room just looks more inviting. Its like I get to experience the dreary look of replacement windows without the buyers remorse.
Mike
1927 Colonial Revival
Fargo, North Dakota
http://oldhousejournal.blogspot.com/

Don M

Post by Don M »

Your window work turned out beautifully!