New here introduction and photos

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
corncobb (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

New here introduction and photos

Post by corncobb (WavyGlass) »

Greetings.... My fiance and I just purchased a home. All I know so far is that the home was built in 1900 and is listed in a historical survey of our county as a queen anne home. However, Nothing about this home screams queen anne to me. It appears as if previous owners have mutilated this home in several areas however, I am WAY new to learning about what should and should NOT be there. There is a few things that scream at me with this home and a few things that whisper to me. I have searched a ton of photos, plans, and websites for information about the conglomeration that we just purchased and can NOT find anything close to it. I am completely excited to get started on our project and even more excited to find out more of the story about our new home that we plan on making great once again and enjoying many years of memories being made. Maybe you all can help me figure out what all is going on in some of the pictures I have?!? Hoping to utilize everybody's knowledge and share with you all our progress over the next however many years.

porch looks right except the supports?!? not sure what thats all about?!?
porch looks right except the supports?!? not sure what thats all about?!?
912LStAuroraA.jpg (174.75 KiB) Viewed 1740 times

Not sure what all is supposed to be there and whats not.
Not sure what all is supposed to be there and whats not.
912LStAuroraC.jpg (188.83 KiB) Viewed 1740 times

912LStAuroraD.jpg
912LStAuroraD.jpg (170.09 KiB) Viewed 1740 times

corncobb (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Re: New here introduction and photos

A few inside pictures.

912LStAuroraE.JPG
912LStAuroraE.JPG (90.52 KiB) Viewed 1739 times

912LStAuroraG.JPG
912LStAuroraG.JPG (73.98 KiB) Viewed 1739 times

912LStAuroraK.JPG
912LStAuroraK.JPG (98.01 KiB) Viewed 1739 times

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

Welcome to the forum.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Alooha! Looks like a pretty house-they seem to have liked it a lot to put the work they did into it!

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

Welcome to the forum! Beautiful house you got there! And, you didn't even need to be prodded to share photos! You're going to fit in here just fine. :)
Warren

Don M

Post by Don M »

I agree the house looks like it was well loved & cared for. I think the arches are definitely wrong for your house & there were likely rectangular doors & more walls that ere removed to "open it up"---sort of open concept which isn't appropriate for your house. There might have been pocket doors between the living & dining rooms. There is nice original tall base boards in the stair hall but the dining room now has 1960s vintage short base boards. The wood trim around the doors & windows with corner bulls eyes is original. Look under the wall to wall in the living room & stair hall; hopefully you will find original hard wood there. The dining room floor looks nice although I can't tell from your picture if that's original or not. It's nice that a lot of your wood trim is not painted. The porch may have had turned posts with brackets or other decoration; look like you may have some rot or other issue with the porch soffit that needs attention? Nice house though. Welcome!

corncobb (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Thank you all for the warm welcomes!

Don M,...... Thank you for the information!! I was wondering about everything you stated!! The floor in the dinning room is not original however, I am pretty sure the original hardwood floors are underneath that floor!

I went to the local museum and got to know the curator there. I asked her if she had any old photos of old houses in town. She said she did but there was no order to the photos and she stated that she only knew of the larger historic homes in town being in the photos. She then told me I could take a look anyway and see what I find.

Low and behold, I found an old picture of the house that was taken between 1907 and 1911. She was just as amazed as I was. On the picture, which is actually a post card, was the original owners name. She then brought me a book of deaths in the county and we were able to find the husbands death date. She then went and grabbed the original stack of newspapers from that year, 1911. Within mins we found his obituary. I got to read his obit from the original 1911 newspaper while holding it in my very own hands! What a really cool experience I got to enjoy that day!! The curator was having just as much fun as I was that day!

I am even more excited to get to work on this house now that I know part of its history and have an original picture of it!!

And since I have gone on about this picture................. Here it is!! YAY!!!!

resize.jpg
resize.jpg (53.92 KiB) Viewed 1534 times

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

Great story, and it is nice that now you know what it looked like, and what to do if you want to restore it back to the original.
Did you get a copy of the obituary too? I'd start a mini collection of stuff like that. If you got enough historical things like that, framing them in a shadow box somewhere in the house would be a neat interest-piece.
With my house, the original couple who had it built were the only owners before me. I asked the estate (their sons) if it would be possible to have a photo of the couple to put up in the house. They thought it was weird, and declined. :(
Warren

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Welcome Corncobb. looks like you don"t have too much to do but sit back and relax. Looks like the the home had at least two colours when new. some thing for you to ponder over in the future when the old girl needs paint. We here generally recommend living in the honme for a while before making major changes, It makes for better desicions down the road. But I think the no brainer would be try to get rid of that telephone pole, and let that nifty trim work be seen once again.

lisascenic
Stalwart

Post by lisascenic »

The porch supports have a 1920s look to them. You could do a lot worse.