1930 Center Hall Colonial

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
clover
Been here a good while

Re: 1930 Center Hall Colonial

Post by clover »

Welcome!

The missing front walk doesn't seem too unusual to me, but I'm also in the country and that doesn't seem to be too uncommon out here. The house nearest ours is an American four-square and it lacks a walk to the front door from the road or from the driveway. I just assumed it was for practical purposes. Visitors would be in vehicles, and the nearest entrance to the driveway is in the rear. Even the sidewalk from my front door doesn't extend all the way to the driveway, to avoid heavy farm machinery running over it and cracking the stone. The again, we haven't received a guest at our front door in the six years we've been here, so I wouldn't be surprised if we someday remove this walk entirely.

As my grandma liked to say "Backdoor guests are best!"

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

NYCtoRVA wrote:
We close on Friday, and I'm taking all next week off work to play with the new house :-)

Get used to the spaces. Don't make any quick decisions until you've been there for a while. There will be some spaces that just say "this is what I'm meant for", but others will allude you for a while. Me, I don't hang anything on the walls for at least a month. What you originally thought would be the perfect spot for something can totally change in the first little bit.

Enjoy your first week of getting to know the house. You're likely going to learn a lot in that first week, and the weeks to follow.
Warren

matchbookhouse
Been here a while

Post by matchbookhouse »

Welcome to the South! I moved from Baltimore to Richmond 35 years ago and have been a "come here" ever since. I live about 90 minutes from you in King George county. My original walkway was also covered over; it was made out of oyster shells because the 1927 builder/owner was a waterman and ship's carpenter and the house is 3 blocks from the Potomac River. Your house is certainly in a great location and a grand size too. Enjoy your new purchase and all the wonderful discoveries you'll make! (Oh, btw - my windows are vinyl too. :oops: Darned POs.)

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Given the age, I'm thinking it likely didnt have shutters unless for stylistic reasons. As others have said you shoudl be able to find evidence of the hardware if it did have functioning shutters at one time.
Mick...

NYCtoRVA (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by NYCtoRVA (WavyGlass) »

Thanks again, all! I'll be prodding about in the front lawn on Saturday morning. As for shutters, I'll check for evidence of those too, as suggested. But now that I'm hearing the place didn't have to have them, I suspect it didn't.

Some pics....
Attachments
Back stairs leading down to kitchen, up to attic/third floor. They are behind doors at all levels.... This is my favorite part of the house.
Back stairs leading down to kitchen, up to attic/third floor. They are behind doors at all levels.... This is my favorite part of the house.
image.jpg (75.72 KiB) Viewed 847 times
Main stairs.
Main stairs.
image.jpg (71.52 KiB) Viewed 847 times
Living room (w PO furniture)
Living room (w PO furniture)
image.jpg (157.74 KiB) Viewed 847 times

NYCtoRVA (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Sooo... Looks like I can only do three attachments per post? Her are some more pics...
Attachments
Master bedroom (PO furniture).
Master bedroom (PO furniture).
image.jpg (121.12 KiB) Viewed 847 times
Gas fireplace in master.
Gas fireplace in master.
image.jpg (117.37 KiB) Viewed 847 times
Wallpaper in master bedroom - keeping it!
Wallpaper in master bedroom - keeping it!
image.jpg (105.48 KiB) Viewed 847 times

NYCtoRVA (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Some pics of the attic/third floor. An absolutely incredible space, and is heated and cooled, but needs a bit of cosmetic work. Seller mentioned something about cathedral ceilings behind the drop ceiling... So curious... We definitely will be waiting that suggested year to make changes, but I'd love to but a guest bed and bath up here...
Attachments
Attic with drop ceiling. Is that black pipe the plumbing stack?
Attic with drop ceiling. Is that black pipe the plumbing stack?
image.jpg (149 KiB) Viewed 847 times
View of slate roof from attic.
View of slate roof from attic.
image.jpg (165.12 KiB) Viewed 847 times
Original windows still in attic (there are dormers along each long wall, and two of these at each end)
Original windows still in attic (there are dormers along each long wall, and two of these at each end)
image.jpg (175.58 KiB) Viewed 847 times

NYCtoRVA (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Last one... :oops:

The back/inside of many of the closet/pantry powder room doors are unpainted and stained a lovely dark brown. Any chance all the trim is like that under the paint? This pic is the inside of the powder room door under the stairs.

Thanks for looking!!

Man, I could not be more excited about this house. I've never lived in a house before, let alone one this pretty. We specifically told our realtor we wanted an old house... Luckily there are many in Richmond, but with two kids and my grandfather with my husband and me, we hoped for a bit of extra space... And we found it... And in such great shape, too.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (67.23 KiB) Viewed 847 times

fugaziosbourne (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by fugaziosbourne (WavyGlass) »

I love that attic, especially the windows. I lived in Richmond for a few years. There are lots of amazing homes in the area. I lived in two houses and both had buried/hidden walkways which I unearthed. One was brick and the other was flagstone. You might get lucky and have one too. Good luck!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

NYCtoRVA wrote:Last one... :oops:

The back/inside of many of the closet/pantry powder room doors are unpainted and stained a lovely dark brown. Any chance all the trim is like that under the paint? This pic is the inside of the powder room door under the stairs.

I'd say there is a very strong possiblity that's how the trim looked originally
Mick...