1930 Center Hall Colonial

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Don M

Re: 1930 Center Hall Colonial

Post by Don M »

mick_vt wrote:
NYCtoRVA wrote:Last one... :oops:

The back/inside of many of the closet/pantry powder room doors are unpainted and stained a lovely dark brown. Any chance all the trim is like that under the paint? This pic is the inside of the powder room door under the stairs.

I'd say there is a very strong possiblity that's how the trim looked originally

I agree; very likely! ;) I too like your master wall paper; we has the same paper except in a blue tone in our master in our cider mill in MA. Even your back stairs are elegant!

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

My paternal grandparents lived in Richmond. We took a car trip from Southern CA to visit them when I was 8. I don't remember much about the house except that it had two curved staircases from the second floor to the first; one went to the kitchen, the other to the living room. I was fascinated by them; there were no two story homes where we lived in CA. We tried sliding down the banisters, but were discouraged from this behavior. My grandfather was a Southern Baptist minister and he and my grandmother were very strict.

My other memory is trying figs from their fig tree. YUM!!!
Diane

Superbeetle
Been here a while

Post by Superbeetle »

Beautiful house! And very well cared for.

NYCtoRVA (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by NYCtoRVA (WavyGlass) »

Closed!! The house is now ours, for better off or worse. Got to spend some time in there today cleaning before the move on Monday... Looks great. Lots of spiderwebs though, and a dead bird in the chimney. Yikes. Need to get some chimney caps. The seller left us an antique secretary which is pretty nice, as well as an old red wagon and some books for the kids, AND original blueprints for the house. And our realtor left us some beer in the fridge.

Fig trees... Might plant one. I hear they do well in this area.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Great news. when we took possession of Gothichome we got every thing you got except the good stuff. Beer and a blue prints. Oh, and no secretary or red wagon either. Now your in I look foreward to more pics and interesting things to discover. may I suggest not to make any major changes for a year or so, Live in it and see what works for you, better decisions will be made.

Lower Brambly
Knows the back streets

Post by Lower Brambly »

NYCtoRVA wrote:Closed!! The house is now ours, for better off or worse. Got to spend some time in there today cleaning before the move on Monday... Looks great. Lots of spiderwebs though, and a dead bird in the chimney. Yikes. Need to get some chimney caps. The seller left us an antique secretary which is pretty nice, as well as an old red wagon and some books for the kids, AND original blueprints for the house. And our realtor left us some beer in the fridge.

Fig trees... Might plant one. I hear they do well in this area.

I have fig trees to give away, but I'm 1-2 hours away, depending where in Richmond you are located.

Good luck with your new old house.

matchbookhouse
Been here a while

Post by matchbookhouse »

If you have fig trees to give away, I'd brave the Harry Nice bridge to get one! (Hate that thing, especially with the one-lane backups).

Lower Brambly
Knows the back streets

Post by Lower Brambly »

I do have one to be moved, and when you do, you end up with many roots to be shared. Unfortunately, my neighbor with the backhoe, who would actually dig the fig has a seriously ill father. His health has been declining for months. the family thinks it is a matter of days now. I hate to ask for his help at this point. I will keep you posted. You are welcome to dig manually with a shovel, however it is a difficult job in the oyster shell laden soil where the fig is located.

I agree with you about the bridge, but it is what it is. They have started plans for another one; but that is many years away. We may not be driving by the time it is actually built.

drew1910
Settling in

Post by drew1910 »

Beautiful home, I look forward to seeing more of it.