wletson's new house - remodeling a 1948 bungalow

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Don M

Re: wletson's new house - remodeling a 1948 bungalow

Post by Don M »

Very nice; big improvement! :)

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

Once I get all the carpet out, this place is really going to have her old life back. :)

Sidenote: The people who installed the carpet and underpad did a really good job, unfortunately. holy moly, the number of staples keeping the underpad in place! Its kinda gross the amount of grit and grime that gets under carpeting though. :P
Warren

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

Shut up! That floor is beautiful. Didn't you feel healthier without the carpet. I have missed posts from you because you are such a fun poster.

This house seems to be smaller than the old one. Also, I thought you were out in the country before vs. in town. There are lots of changes, but you have the talent, that's for sure.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

Well, the de-carpeting continues. I discovered something pretty important this week. It would have been a lot easier to pull the carpet if I had done it before I moved in. (I've been very careful with my framing of photos. My house is chaos as I have been doing this)
Oh, for those of you who have known me for a while, you'll note that you are actually seeing the interior of this house. I didn't do that very much in the previous house. Huh, maybe I am getting more relaxed in my old age. (turned 50 this summer, poor me!)

[img=center]Image[/img]
Warren

Don M

Post by Don M »

It's all looking good; we also like to see interior shots too! :mrgreen:

nan-nan
Settling in

Post by nan-nan »

Hi Warren

Love the wood floors! We had that situation in our first home in Kitchener. Horrible gold carpet covering pristine maple floors!

Are you going to put any protective finish on them to preserve them? I used to wax mine to keep them protected and shiny. Now I feel sorry for anyone down the road who wants to refinish them because that wax is going to be a problem. But I didn't know that then!

And yes, carpets are nasty and dirty. That's what keeps my son in law employed and supporting my grandbabies, though, so I can't complain. :)

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

nan-nan wrote:Hi Warren

Are you going to put any protective finish on them to preserve them? I used to wax mine to keep them protected and shiny. . :)

They seem to have a healthy coat of was on them, so I'm likely to keep with that idea. What do you use? I remember as a kid visiting homes with waxed hardwood floors and having a ball sliding around in our socks! :)

matchbookhouse
Been here a while

Post by matchbookhouse »

I've used Butcher's Boston Polish Amber paste wax on mine and buffed them with a Hoover Floor Max buffer (it's small and manageable). I actually did this on the living room and dining room floors that have an old poly finish, because there's no way I can move all the furniture and animals out of here to get them properly sanded and refinished. So far, it's worked well and the floors look fine. I love the warm glow. I've also done one bedroom with a product called Restorzit. It's easy to apply and gives a nice semi-gloss finish, plus you don't have to sand and remove the old finish to touch up an area. That floor had never been finished in 85 years, but I had it screened just in case (which was a waste of money). Your floors look in such good shape to start with that you could just go with either finish.

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

[img=center]Image[/img]

Starting to work on my fireplace wall now... oh dear, I was supposed to be working on my floors. Well, at least they are close to 80% done. :P
Warren

Don M

Post by Don M »

What are you planning for your fireplace rebuild? I wonder why it is not centered between the windows.