wletson's new house - remodeling a 1948 bungalow

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
wletson
Been here a good while

wletson's new house - remodeling a 1948 bungalow

Post by wletson »

So, I was a long time member of OHW, and I spent some time here before taking a break. I'm back, with a new house. I just took possession on October 2, 2014.
[img=center]Image[/img]

Built in an older neighbourhood in Paris, Ontario, Canada by Mary and Len Taylor shortly after they married, it was owned by the couple until Mary died in July. An addition was added last summer because Mary was wheelchair bound, and they were attempting to make it more comfortable for her.
[img=center]Image[/img]

Mary's kitchen was always blue (I discovered a number of different shades, but yes, all blue) so the addition was all blue. A bit too much blue.
[img=center]Image[/img]

[img=center]Image[/img]

I've repainted a good part of that area now, and I'm trying to get stuff color coordinated.

[img=center]Image[/img]

[img=center]Image[/img]

[img=center]Image[/img]

Part of the addition became a master bathroom. For reasons unknown, they didn't put in a toilet. They left the space for one, but didn't do any of the necessary plumbing or anything.
[img=center]Image[/img]

I chose the color for this bathroom from a shaving mug. I had it sitting on the bathroom counter last week and decided I loved the color combination of the ceramic and the black rim. So, that's going to be my color combo in this bathroom. Everything in this room was white, other than the flooring.
[img=center]Image[/img]

Other than the kitchen, the rest of the original house is carpeted. Hardwood floor is definitely under there, so that will be one of my projects this winter. The livingroom wall with a fireplace will also be a rebuild this winter.
[img=center]Image[/img]

Don't mind the clutter in that last shot, I was still getting organized when I took that one. Actually, it will be an awesome "before" shot! :)

So, anyway, that's where I am now, and what I have to work with. Will try to be good about grabbing "before" shots, and process pictures as much as I can.... stay tuned!

shazapple
Stalwart

Re: wletson's new house - remodeling a 1948 bungalow

Post by shazapple »

Neat little house! It will be interesting to see what is under the carpet.
Lee
1900 1.5 Story Cottage

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

It's a nice looking practical house!

clover
Been here a good while

Post by clover »

Cute little house!

Blue must have been "the" color for home decorators of a certain age. My grandparents were married in 1949 and my grandmother always chose blue when it came time to paint. Only one of the two upstairs bedrooms wasn't, and I think it was to distinguish it from "the blue bedroom." ;) All different shades, that were nice in their own right, but it always felt to me like living inside a tube of toothpaste.

Don M

Post by Don M »

We will enjoy watching & hearing about your changes to this home. I can't imagine why they would have built a bathroom with out at least doing the rough-in; what were they thinking? ;)

Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Post by Chevygirlalways »

Nice to see you here :) Very pretty home, love the colors you have chosen for the kitchen and bath. Enjoy your new home :)

Susan

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

There was one layer of "blue" that totally made me think of my grandmother's kitchen when I was young. It was kind of on the greenier side of teal, sort of. A color you look at, and know it is certainly not something anyone used in the last three or four decades.
Warren

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

I said I was going to wait til winter to pull up the carpets. Well, yesterday I was painting the master bedroom (second coat) and had to wait for the paint to dry. So, naturally, I pulled the carpet out of the front entranceway. Well, that looked so good I decided to go at a bit more today. With the clocks turning back an hour, I was ripping up carpet, removing staples and pulling the tack strip thingies at 3:30 this morning.

There are a few stains, but the hardwood looks so much better than the old, stained, stretched carpet! I was assuming when I bought the house that the hardwood wouldn't be damaged under the carpet. Good gamble! Yay me!

master bedroom
Last edited by wletson on Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Congrats! That looks a million times better!

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Ya done good!