wletson's new house - remodeling a 1948 bungalow

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
wletson
Been here a good while

Re: wletson's new house - remodeling a 1948 bungalow

Post by wletson »

Don M wrote:I wonder why it is not centered between the windows.

Don, that is the biggest mystery I have come across so far in this houe. From the outside, it doesn't look at odd with the chimney uneven with the windows. But why would anyone do this? Not centered on anything?

To anwer the other part of the question, I think I am going to make that entire wall one huge "built-in" and be done with it. With a "craftsman" inspiration. Incorporating the window frames, the whole bit. Might not be able to afford a new gas fireplace right away, but this wall was purely laid out, and the shelves are pretty badly built, and the tone of the wood/stain is horrible, bringing the room down.

Removing the yucky carpet, exposing the darker hardwood made the room seem brighter. Getting rid of the eyesore "fireplace" will complete the attitude adjustment this room needs.

Excuse the mess in this shot, it was taken very shortly after I moved, and nothing was unpacked. Well, except for my Dr. Seuss books.

[img=center]Image[/img]
Last edited by wletson on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don M

Post by Don M »

That's a good idea; I installed a zero clearance fireplace in our first home and I built a set of book cases on either side of the fireplace that went from wall to wall. I cantilevered the fireplace unit on the exterior of the house to minimize the interior space loss (small house). The top of the book cases extended all the way across & also provided the mantle for the fireplace. The FP surround & raised hearth were covered with some nice tiles. I did have one off center window on the left side of the fireplace & I used thin pine paneling all the way across that wall. The whole thing really added a lot of warmth & charm to an otherwise plain Jane living room.

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

I figured the mantel will be raised just a bit, so the window sills and mantel will be one solid piece across the wall. Glass door cabinets on the outsides of the windows...
Warren

Don M

Post by Don M »

wletson wrote:I figured the mantel will be raised just a bit, so the window sills and mantel will be one solid piece across the wall. Glass door cabinets on the outsides of the windows...

I think that will be very attractive.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

it'll look like it grew there!

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

We splurged for a gas fireplace insert about 6-7 years ago. I just love that crazy little thing. None of the original bricks were disturbed, either.

Start saving.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

Kansas.1911 wrote:We splurged for a gas fireplace insert about 6-7 years ago. I just love that crazy little thing. None of the original bricks were disturbed, either.

Start saving.

If the silly fireplace was centered, I would definitely put a new insert in there. As it is though, I just don't know... :?

nan-nan
Settling in

Post by nan-nan »

Reading through this thread years later, I never answered your question about what wax I used. I went to a janitorial supply place in Kitchener and bought a big jug of self polishing liquid wax, and a cotton head mop. I used to love shining those floors! In my enthusiasm, I even did the stairs...which is actually very unsafe, and we had some falls. :(

I think the liquid wax is actually more of an acrylic product than a true wax. What did you end up using in the bungalow?

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

Oh, dear... 8 months later, and I still really haven't started on that fireplace wall like I said I was going to. Tee hee, I guess that moves to this coming winter. Will update soon on everything I have done in the past half year or so. I thought I was going to spend a lot of time here in the beginning. I dove right in, and have barely stopped to pee! :D
Warren