Hi from Toronto

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Don M

Re: Hi from Toronto

Post by Don M »

Oh that turned out really well & the bookshelf will be nice. I suppose you are planning to refinish the floor eventually? Interesting colors! ;)

fugaziosbourne (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by fugaziosbourne (WavyGlass) »

Thank you. Working on the book shelf now actually. I'll post a pic of the entire floor when I do clean up. It's supposed to be a painted rug or at least that is what I'm assuming. It's weird since it's not centred in the room and the edges aren't straight. It probably made sense to whoever painted it 70 years ago.

Unfortunately, we're painting the floor. A few of the boards are damaged and I don't have enough salvaged pieces to repair it so that it looks good. I hope in a couple years I'll have enough material and can do the repairs and refinish the floors. I did it in the upstairs hallway a while back and it turned out ok.

Here's a before and after of that one.

Don M

Post by Don M »

The hallway looks great; a painted rug works too! ;)

Settling in

I almost want to keep the rug design, but anyone who saw it would be confused.

Finished bookshelf. Almost ready to paint and move back in.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Looks good!

Settling in

Thanks. Almost at the finish line now. Spent two days working on the ceiling to fix the imperfections. Looking better now. Can't wait to start the painting in the morning. Here a shot of the floor before it gets primed.

Settling in

..and we're back. We've been painting all week.

The yellow cubby!

Here are the floors with a coat of primer covering the rug design. I wish I could've repaired and refinished them but this paint idea is growing on me. Notice the product placement by the Coca-Cola company.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I am so very impressed by all that you have taken on and been able to finish so well...I just bought an older home that needs a lot of tlc and I will need to pay others while on a tight budget to do the bigger stuff...so far, I have been disappointed in some of the hires...their standards don't come close to mine...it gives me hope to see what you have done...I have the skills to do most of the work but the time, nope not so much...

thanks for posting and keeping us updated...enjoy seeing/reading about your progress...

...jade

Settling in

Thanks for the kind words. It's always nice to hear someone from outside of your friends and family that think you're doing this right. I completely understand where you're coming from with the budget and bringing professionals in. We had to get a "pro" to do some structural work on our kitchen since it was completely above my pay grade. He was a great guy but his standards were not what we were expecting. After that I decided as long as it does't involve major plumbing, electrical or being higher than six feet up on a ladder I'm doing the work.

Do you have any photos of your home on the forum? I'm always enjoy seeing other peoples work.

Settling in

Here is the 99% completed project. All that is left is putting covers on the electrical outlets and touching up the ceiling paint and a few spots on the floor. I got carried away with roller and continued up the wall to the ceiling in a few areas. The last few days of work involved shifts that ended at 6am. Lot's of Tim Horton's coffee made this possible.

Nice wall minus the stucco texture...

We're going to put up a sliding door in the spring that will be similar in appearance to the door on the hall closet. There is a ton of space in here. There is also the added benefit that the new closet hides how the dormer was crooked.

The owner of the house is relaxing on the bed after he signed off on the finished job.