Hi from Toronto

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
fugaziosbourne (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Re: Hi from Toronto

Post by fugaziosbourne (WavyGlass) »

Superbeetle wrote:Welcome to wavy glass! Those door plates are fantastic! What a save. I can't imagine what your PO was thinking with that bizarre texturing.

Thanks. I've been reading the forum for a long time. I'm amazed by a lot of the work done by the members here. There is a lot of head scratching when I'm working in this house. I assume it's just a combination of the previous owners being broke and not having much knowledge on home repair.

I loved those plates too. I was like a kid on Christmas morning when I got those doors and hardware. The doors we had in here before were battered and way past the point of repair. I usually strike up a conversation when I see people doing demo work in the neighbourhood. I've got some great stuff for free by just offering to haul it away.

nan-nan
Settling in

Post by nan-nan »

It's nice to have another Canadian on the board. Happy renovating!

Settling in

nan-nan wrote:It's nice to have another Canadian on the board. Happy renovating!

Thanks.

I've spent the last few days making door frames and moulding. The old stuff was too damaged(and missing) to reuse, so I did my best at replicating it. Next up is making the window moulding and installing baseboards.

Settling in

Finished the window today. Finally got the moulding and shelf to fit flush after planing for an hour.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Ah yes, multiple layers of flooring... my brother recently moved into a rental apartment (with two other students) and his room must have at least a dozen layers. The tiled kitchen floor is probably close to the original level judging by the transition at the front door and his floor is a good 2" higher up than the kitchen and hallway!

The place's layout is a bit weird because it was originally three tiny bedsit apartments that were entered through the kitchen that in turn led to the room, no interior plumbing at all). The centre kitchen became a hallway and water closet, another kitchen was turned into a bathroom and part of the L-shaped hall and the third remained a kitchen.

The house was probably built around 1880-1890 and I suspect the original floor is wide pine planks, probably painted red/brown. I also think at least one layer is carpet because the floor feels so incredibly soft and springy. The riser on the step up to the room is also covered with nasty dark blue-grey carpet. On top there's engineered beech flooring that slants dramatically. Obiously he's far more patient, there's no way I wouldn't have dug into that mess before moving in! It's an unlimited contract and in a pre-1954 house the tenants have pretty much all rights around here, so no one could keep me from ripping out the floor (worst thing the owner could do is force me to have cheap engineered hardwood put back down when I move out, but no sensible landlord would do that if there's a nicely refinished original floor instead).

Don M

Post by Don M »

Very nice work on replicating the wood door & window trim! :)

Settling in

Don M wrote:Very nice work on replicating the wood door & window trim! :)

Thanks. I was pretty happy with how things turned out.

It's been slow on the renovation front. The room is finally primed though. The walls look decent. Unfortunately, you can see a few seams in the ceiling joints so I have to work on making those look passable. After that we're ready to finish the baseboards and paint the walls and floors.

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

Really pretty work! The fact that you are paying attention to that quality of work is going to pay off for you.
Greetings from another Ontarian. :)
Warren

Settling in

This week has been very productive. We finally have a door again. A very dusty door, but it works.

Here is the almost completed window box I've been working on for a few days. Just need to finish the front and the top. This was the best idea we had of to hide where the floors are cut and and are sloping. The room looks much more solid now. This was also the easiest part of this project so far. Next, we're going to build a small bookcase under the dormer and to attach it to the box and that should take care of the floor problems.

Settling in

Here is the almost finished product and the early stages of a bookshelf.