Use Wool or Denim insulation?

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Use Wool or Denim insulation?

Post by Kansas.1911 »

Parts of our house are the wrong temperature--cold in winter and warm in summer. We are embarking upon a project to insulate, and we will be using the same contractor who does all our work, Jim. (Everyone needs a home Jim).

I want to use either wool or denim? Who has had experience? Spray foam is out of the question.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Re: Use Wool or Denim insulation?

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Denim?

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

There's a type of insulation made from denim that has a high R factor.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Had to look that up. Interesting. The ultra touch denim has the green factor of using a good proportion of recycled fibre. Nice colour too, lol. The ultra fleece has the appeal of being so natural. I'm guessing cost will be fairly high compared to regularly available insulation. I like the green aspect though. We used roxul in our stone house for the water and fire retardant properties. Still have mice in it though, which would happen regardless of the type of batt you put in. Three indoor cats, all believe they are off the clock.
Good luck with your project, Mal

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

We have a store around here called "Menards." In yesterday's flyer, denim is listed for $39.99 and covers 48.45 square feet. Of course, it is recycled denim fibers, Class A fire rated, and R-19. We don't need much. Another denim product, more expensive, is to be used to stop sound transfer. It covers twice as much for $17 more.

The store also sells mineral wool which is R-15. I am more interested in denim.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

I'd vote for denim - the wool insulation manufacturers claim that their stuff is made insect-resistant but I've got a hard time believing them.

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

Thanks. I am leaning towards denim.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

lisascenic
Stalwart

Post by lisascenic »

We use that denim insulation at work to deaden sound on stage platforms. We fill the voids under the platforms with this stuff.

For my own home, I used the blown-in paper pulp insulation. I'm very happy with it.

I'd be worried about moths with the wool stuff. I have enough problems with moths attacking my knitting and handspinning supplies.

shazapple
Stalwart

Post by shazapple »

My wife is a fire investigator, she would never let this stuff be installed in our house (along with cellulose or spray foam). The fire retardant chemicals lose their effectiveness over time and can smolder and reignite. I can't imagine denim would be much different.
Lee
1900 1.5 Story Cottage

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

We haven't made the purchase yet. What does your wife think insulation should be made of?

I could always ask our insurance people, too.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare