Nan-Nan from OHW

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Don M

Re: Nan-Nan from OHW

Post by Don M »

You may want to provide a link to your photos if they are on a separate blog or photo sharing site.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

We've got walls that were whitewashed 15 years ago and still look fine so I wouldn't count on having to redo them every 5 years. The farmers did that back in the old days when the walls were dirty.

nan-nan
Settling in

Post by nan-nan »

TR, do you have the recipe and/or instructions for application?

There is something white on the stone walls already - it could be paint, I am not sure. The mortar that was rendered on it is crumbling in spots, so whatever it is, it isn't breathing with the moisture. :(

I don't suppose I can whitewash on top of paint. Do I have to wait until it all crumbles off over time?

Nettie
Been here a while

Post by Nettie »

If the photos are on your computer it's a piece of cake. Just make sure they aren't too large. Hit the reply button and underneath the text box is a space where you can browse for the picture file- find it and then click the bar that says to add the file- do that and then preview to see your pic and hit submit.
Welcome!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Nettie wrote:If the photos are on your computer it's a piece of cake. Just make sure they aren't too large. Hit the reply button and underneath the text box is a space where you can browse for the picture file- find it and then click the bar that says to add the file- do that and then preview to see your pic and hit submit.
Welcome!

I recently wrote up some detailed instructions for how to post pictures from a Mac if that helps:

viewtopic.php?f=3&p=12221#p12221
Mick...

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

TR, do you have the recipe and/or instructions for application?

Sure!

Get lime putty, carefully mix with water (wear goggles, that stuff is caustic and mixing splashes a lot!) until it's relatively thin, you've got to experiment a bit until you don't get any more obvious brush marks on the wall. Then use the largest brush you can get and start brushing. An angled 6" brush on a broomstick is quite nice. Alternate vertical and horizontal strokes between coats (if you have windows the final coat should be horizontal). You don't need to wait for each coat to fully dry before you apply the next. Expect to do three or four coats.

Absolutely easy to do! The old-timers didn't care if anything chipped off, they just painted over it. I'd remove any loose pieces with a putty knife unless it's glossy. If there's gloss paint on your walls you have to remove that before you whitewash. Also test if the paint you currently have comes off with water. If it does, wash it off.

Tujo (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by Tujo (WavyGlass) »

Wow! I think the place we're buying is only a few blocks away. Nice to meet the neighbours :)