Hello!

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
tiffanye (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Hello!

Post by tiffanye (WavyGlass) »

Thought I would finally introduce myself! I have been lurking for a week or longer. :) I have to be honest after reading a few of the post I am a little worried about the criticism I would receive about my home.

We live in a 1910 Victorian home which has been greatly neglected over the past 20 years. My grandparents actually owned it from about 1975-1989. The owners after them did more harm then good. From what we understand the back of the house stood a foot shorter then the front. The owners even cut one of the pillars on the porch to help (?) with this problem.

It sold again around 2006. We literally had just bought a new home and I was heart broken when I heard this sold for 10,000. The new owners had planned on opening a B and B until the wife got sick and they decided to sell it. We bought the house in 2009.

Sadly last summer we decided vinyl siding was best for our family. Unfortunately the wood siding would no longer hold paint. Lead based paint was chipping off every where including onto our wrap around porch where my children play. (Honestly I am not worried about lead but I know the state of IL doesn't look fondly on it. And I feel they are too strict on their guide lines. I think of this every time you criticize people for not saving their windows. But that is a different story) We spent a week in Savannah as my FIL hung our vinyl siding and cringed ever time I saw their beautiful wood siding.

Any who, I saw there is someone from Ohio I believe that is doing their second House Walk this year. We are also doing our second House Walk this year. My big project before the house walk is the stair case. I am in the process of stripping the paint and the obscene amount of carpet glue. While googling I stumbled upon you guys!

Gothichome

Re: Hello!

Post by Gothichome »

Glad you found us Tiffanye. Don't worry to much about our views on vinyl siding. At a future date that can always be removed when you have the time and the funds to do a good repair and paint of the original siding. The point of the whole exercise is to leave an old home better restored than when you bought it. Although we do keep a warm pot of tar and a bag of feathers close by for replacement window salesmen. You're going into your second home walk, good for you. I think we all would like to see pictures of your home, a bit of a bragging show and tell of the work you have done so far. Welcome

tiffanye (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Oh that branch of that walnut tree drives me nuts. But the only time I think "That needs cut" is when I take a picture of the house.
Attachments
1240262_10200611158296569_430588943_n.jpg
1240262_10200611158296569_430588943_n.jpg (112.64 KiB) Viewed 895 times
61437_10200611157376546_1598946830_n.jpg
61437_10200611157376546_1598946830_n.jpg (111.72 KiB) Viewed 895 times

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Hey Tiffanye, welcome! What a beautiful house!

I have a very similar paint problem on my house - every single coat since 1865 was on it when we bought it, and it looked just like alligator skin up close. Every winter / summer cycle would make the cracks bigger and great chunks would fall off. I took an alternative route of stripping to bare wood and starting afresh. Doing it myself, I am currently into the fourth year of working on it. It is nasty work, it takes a long time, and you expose yourself to lead (as much as you try with the abatement, some will always get away). I would not be doing this myself if I had kids. I would also not be paying a contractor to do it as it would have run to tens of thousands of dollars, and my house is a fraction the size of yours. Bottom line is that I think the vinyl option is a good, economical way to encapsulate the lead. Like Gothichome says, you can then decide to tackle it in a different way later if you decide.

I love the new color by the way! :)
Mick...

tiffanye (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Thanks! Both of you are right. There is a piece of me that feels better knowing it's still there for the future.

grammacake (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by grammacake (WavyGlass) »

I love that house. Good luck, with what ever you decide to do with it.
We have some vinyl siding on the newer part of ours that is getting ready to come down. All of the rest of the siding is poplar

I am also dealing with old paint o our 1850's house, I think it still has all of the original paint on it. It is flaking off in chunks. My daughter thought of power washing it, but I don't know if that is a good idea as the wood is so old I am afraid it would do more harm than good.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

grammacake wrote: My daughter thought of power washing it, but I don't know if that is a good idea as the wood is so old I am afraid it would do more harm than good.

Power washing it might release some of what is loose right now, and fling it to the four winds (not a good thing to do with lead paint) but also if it is clapboard it would drive water under the boards, another thing that is not good to do (risk of rot etc.)
Mick...

Don M

Post by Don M »

Welcome; I too like your house & think you made the right decision for the time being. Lead & children don't mix we had neighbors in MA whose son chewed on the window sills & got lead poisoning. They had to move out until the house was abated.

5thGenTexan (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by 5thGenTexan (WavyGlass) »

Vinyl siding is not even an option in my town. We have a Historic Preservation Officer and a Historic Preservation Board. Everything is subject to the interpretation of the guidelines set forth by the Secretary of the Interior. Any exterior work undertaking on the exterior of a home, especially the front - streetside is supposed to be reviewed and given a Certificate of Appropriateness in addition to any applicable building permits.

I am looking at a paint job in excess of $10,000 when I start on my project.