What I've been doing for the last year.

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
nlswitz
Been here a while

What I've been doing for the last year.

Post by nlswitz »

After living in our craftsmen bungalow for a few months and staring and staring at the wood I came to realize that a refinishing project was in order. The wood had (or still has in some the dining room) at least three different finishes (some seemed more like paint). So I started in the inglenook and mostly completed that area and then moved on to the living room. I stripped, did some necessary wood repairs here and there, stained and am almost finished putting on a BLO/poly/mineral spirits wiping varnish...just two more coats.

Next week we'll have a fresh skim coat and then paint with BM Georgian Green. Then on the 28th we'll be featured in the Oxnard Historic District Autumn Home Tour as a restoration in progress.

After that I get to start on the dining room. The last piece will be pulling up all the carpet to reveal the original oak floors.
Attachments
Front left window
Front left window
image.jpg (209.62 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
Looking towards the inglenook shows the future wall color. Some stripped, unfinished wood, and some of the future work
Looking towards the inglenook shows the future wall color. Some stripped, unfinished wood, and some of the future work
image.jpg (185.07 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
Secretary and windows. This is a south facing wall and the wood was very dry and difficult to work with at each stage.
Secretary and windows. This is a south facing wall and the wood was very dry and difficult to work with at each stage.
image.jpg (137.58 KiB) Viewed 1617 times

Gothichome

Re: What I've been doing for the last year.

Post by Gothichome »

NL, I can see the simple beauty of the craftsman lines coming back to life. The mossy green paint is spot on to my eye, well done. And to be invited to be on the house tour as well. Kudos. The little light or what appears to be a light is that an original fixture?

nlswitz
Been here a while

Post by nlswitz »

I think the light was put there in the 80s. I'm not sure the age though, definitely not 80s era. I met the people who owned the house then and they said they purchased some light fixtures from an antique lighting store nearby. I didn't get as much info as I should have but they just stopped by one day when I was stripping the wood and I was a bit distracted. We do have some nice light fixtures that I need to photograph

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

Wow. Just wow. Love it!

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

People are paying beaucoup bucks to replicate what you already have-it sure looks pretty!

Don M

Post by Don M »

Beautiful! :)

bfarwell
Been here a while

Post by bfarwell »

Fabulous!!

cadrad
Knows the back streets

Post by cadrad »

looks amazing! any pictures with it painted?

nlswitz
Been here a while

Post by nlswitz »

Thanks for all the nice comments. We will have a new skim coat put on the walls and ceiling starting next Monday and hope to paint the following weekend.
I will definitely take more photos when all is painted... I have hundreds of photos at each step!

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

I get all weepy over wood like that. Excellent.

When you have a deadline such as a tour, it propels you a little more. A medium-range deadline, such as you described, sounds wonderful. People with vision are welcome to visit.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare