My "New" Old House Now with Photos

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Don M

Re: My "New" Old House Now with Photos

Post by Don M »

I am amazed that so much alteration was done; amazing as it appears the third floor was eliminated & the entire roof rebuilt. It's a shame that the wrap around porch was removed. Still a very attractive home. My parents rented the first floor of a big old farm house in Fayetteville, NY. After they moved out a fire destroyed the third floor of that house. When the house was repaired they didn't replace the third floor either; I wonder if something like that might account for the loss or your third floor?

5thGenTexan (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by 5thGenTexan (WavyGlass) »

Don M wrote:I am amazed that so much alteration was done; amazing as it appears the third floor was eliminated & the entire roof rebuilt. It's a shame that the wrap around porch was removed. Still a very attractive home. My parents rented the first floor of a big old farm house in Fayetteville, NY. After they moved out a fire destroyed the third floor of that house. When the house was repaired they didn't replace the third floor either; I wonder if something like that might account for the loss or your third floor?

This house never had a third floor. It just had the roof dormers (there were three I believe). Two of the window assemblies are still in the attic.

During the renovation in the 30's the original kitchen was enlarged and an identical space above was added for a kitchen in the upstairs apartment. This photo shows the original roofline that was in place before those additions.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Fun that the windows & old roof are preserved!

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

Neat pictures! You have inspired me to get the guts to poke my head up in my own attic. But after the temps have been near freezing for a while to kill any potential bugs... :oops: I have a thing with bees, in particular.