My "New" Old House Now with Photos

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
5thGenTexan (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

My "New" Old House Now with Photos

Post by 5thGenTexan (WavyGlass) »

Soon we plan on purchasing a new old house. The house in question belongs to my grandmother and was purchased by my grandparents in 1974. I was born in 1974, so I have spent a LOT of time there. That is the main motivation for us purchasing the place. So, I am not sure if I am crazy or maybe crazier than most new old house buyers. :D I know what I am getting into and I am doing it anyway.

The house was originally built in 1893 or 1894 by a prominent business owner in town. At some point a major renovation was performed. Then in the 30s or 40s ,the owners were living in Arizona and the house is in Texas, the house underwent another renovation. This time it was totally gutted, the porches removed, the inside changed from a single family home to an upstairs/downstairs apartments. When my grandparents bought the house in 1974 it had been returned to single family, but the entire upstairs had been covered in gold carpet and the ceiling got a popcorn treatment. In the 80's my grandparents uncovered the original staircase that had been covered by closets downstairs. This revealed at least some of the original woodwork and trim. All the other trim in the house is pretty basic. Door and window trim is a 1x4 with a 1x1 trim around the edge of the 1x4. Whatever the original kitchen looked liked is anyones guess. During the renovation to turn the place into apartments an identical kitchen was placed upstairs and downstairs. Pretty much a few cabinets with old Masonite counters. What I am getting at is, they went on the cheap with the renovation then just to get it in shape to rent. Much of the original character that would have been in the house is gone.

My grandmother covered up all the nasty cheesecloth and wallpaper with paneling that she painted and stenciled. Its ok, but not our style.

The house also has knob and tube wiring, space heaters and window units, maybe 3" of insulation in the attic.

We have a lot of work to do.

Total rewire of the house, zinsco panels and all. For insurability and because I am not going to insulate the attic over the old wiring.

HVAC for the house because it really is miserable most of the year unless you are in the one room with the AC or heater.

I am just wondering just generally, what do you do with a characterless kitchen? I am planning on taking everything out. The cabinets really are just pine boards cobbled together, there is no master craftsmanship there. Since we are rewiring, I am planning on a total gut on the kitchen for plumbing and wiring. I am also going to try to insulate the kitchen since it is on the north side of the house.

That does bring up a point. Is there anyone here I the south? In our town and I suspect much of Texas the walls are NOT plastered. They are all shiplap. What to cover with after I get the paneling off??
Last edited by 5thGenTexan (WavyGlass) on Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: My "New" Old House

Post by mattswabb »

Welcome and you must post pics. We all love to look at other peoples projects.

I've caught a few episodes of Fixer Upper on HGTV and the show is based somewhere in Texas and the couple fixes up old houses. They all seem to have ship lap in them. Before this show I'd never seen that before. Maybe check out a few episodes and see how they handle it.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Yes, welcome to Wavyglass. You are not out of place, all the old home crazies here are saner than most. Honest. First off, we here generally recommend living with the home for a year or so before doing major renovations. The house will tell you what it needs. And it gives you the time to really figure out what you want out of the home. As far as the kitchen goes, if there's nothing of the original in place you have a clean slate to work with.

5thGenTexan (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

mattswabb wrote:Welcome and you must post pics. We all love to look at other peoples projects.

I've caught a few episodes of Fixer Upper on HGTV and the show is based somewhere in Texas and the couple fixes up old houses. They all seem to have ship lap in them. Before this show I'd never seen that before. Maybe check out a few episodes and see how they handle it.

I would love to post pics, but when I went to Photobucket to do just that I had a message that I was at 100% capacity. Funny since I paid for the 20MB package and I am not anywhere close to that.

I have seen those episodes. I think just painting it might be fine on interior walls, but exterior walls pose a problem. The exterior is shiplap - studs - exterior siding. Nothing to stop the wind from blowing straight through... especially during the winter.

I have thought about a nice beadboard paneling in lieu of the mess that is there now.

5thGenTexan (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Gothichome wrote:Yes, welcome to Wavyglass. You are not out of place, all the old home crazies here are saner than most. Honest. First off, we here generally recommend living with the home for a year or so before doing major renovations. The house will tell you what it needs. And it gives you the time to really figure out what you want out of the home. As far as the kitchen goes, if there's nothing of the original in place you have a clean slate to work with.

During my 40 years, I have probably spent 20 years living there. During the last 10 years or so after I was married and moved out on my own I still lived in town and have helped with repairs. I have worked under this house, in the attic, plumbing, etc. I have a pretty good feel and knowledge of the place, its just going to be a matter of purchasing and it being in my name.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

There's a few fellow Texans here, you'll meet them directly. One lives in the family home that is sort of a modified dogtrot/shotgun home, one has a pretty queen Anne sort of house and a downtown building, and one has sort of a single story f square as I recall.

Cheers!
Chaz

Don M

Post by Don M »

I lived in Boerne near San Antonio for 5 years. The ship lap made the house solid; many were built on low stone or concrete pillers. The ground in many of those areas moved some due to drought so plaster wasn't a good choice as it would crack & fail. The ship lap was often covered in cheese cloth as you mentioned & then wallpapered. How about insulating with pumped in foam between the shiplap & external sheathing? Some types of foam create their own vapor barrier. Good Luck & keep us posted!

5thGenTexan (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

This is the original house. It was built in 1893 or 1894, but I am not sure of the date of this photo.

This is after the first renovation. The lower photo shows how it looked when the owners were living away and it was not being taken care of as it should have been.

This last photo is a fairly recent photo, but this is how the exterior has pretty much looked since the renovation in the 30's. All the porches were removed. The area on the far right side of the house was previously a porch, but it was converted into inside living space.

Gothichome

Re: My "New" Old House Now with Photos

Post by Gothichome »

Interesting set of pics, you can just see the evolution of the home. The simple Victorian as built, then given a modern craftsman look with the square posts and free from extraneous decoration, to the utter disrepair and then re imagined as a what I see as a pre victorian Georgian home.

Neighmond

Re: My "New" Old House Now with Photos

Post by Neighmond »

Real elegant!