Our 1902 house

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Thomolli
Settling in

Our 1902 house

Post by Thomolli »

Howdy all and greetings from Louisville! I am finally making my move from the OHW forums. I recognize a lot of names and see a bunch of new ones also. It is great that this community found a way to overcome the spammers and stay together!

I would like to take a few and introduce our house...Image This is her the day we closed April 2011.
She was built in 1902 and was basically neglected from the beginning.

By the time we got her she was 5000sq ft of "hot mess". Nothing had been done in the way of repairs and maintenance for 50 years or more. It needed all new wiring, all new plumbing, new box gutters, the windows were in desperate shape, the ceilings on the first floor were falling in and the house was FULL of stuff from ALL the previous owners. Furniture, appliances, Hoosier cabinet, clothes, papers, piano, dishes, dining table, 8 chairs and matching buffet, beds in every room, brick a brack, books, magazines, lamps, food...name it, it was in here! It was a mammoth job just sorting through it all so we could get to work.

I posted this old photo because soon that ugly front entry is going away. The original front doors were in the house and we are getting ready to put them back. That is really going to change the way the house looks. I will post a new photo when it is done.

Here is a link to photos of the house when we first got it. Scroll to the bottom for the beginning. House photos

Holli

Neighmond

Re: Our 1902 house

Post by Neighmond »

Alooha, and welcome over! Thanks for the pictures. It will be a treat to see the original doors in place, won't it?

Don M

Post by Don M »

Excellent house; putting the doors back will really improve the overall look! :D

I just reviewed all your House photos and now recall the secret stairs surprise from the OHW. Interesting modifications thru the years. I gather the house was originally a single family & later modified to be a 3 family (based on the 3 electric meters)?

I think you said there once was a second house at the back of your lot? I wonder if it wasn't a carriage house/garage.

The back addition is interesting, obviously not built to match the front part of the house. Is that how they added bathrooms to the house?

Beautiful work on the box gutters & exterior trim. I gather the 2nd floor death door must have once exited onto a former back porch; maybe removed when the back addition was added?

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Hi Holli! Your home has beautiful features, the fireplaces, front door, trim and I love the sink in the laundry room. It is going to be spectacular!
Diane

Thomolli
Settling in

Post by Thomolli »

Don,

The addition on the house is what is left of the house that was in the back. It is the short leg of an "L" shaped house that was once in the back yard. It burned and that little piece survived. They drug it through the back yard and smacked it onto the back of our house.

The house out back was a separate property at one time. in 1922 the man that owned our house bought it and a 15' piece on the west side of the house and made it all one big property 50' x 200' with 2 houses.

In 1926 a Dr. bought the property for his 3 daughters. They are the ones that turned it into a triplex with common kitchen and baths. I guess so they could each have their own little place to do whatever they wanted. The house out back was rented by the week for income for the sisters. When a sister would die her place would be rented out also. The deed stated only the sole survivor could sell. When the last sister died she willed this place to the people we bought from.

The baths were added by taking a 4' sliver off the kitchen and the bedroom right above the kitchen. We are going to take them out. The kitchen will go back to it's original size and we will put a half bath under the stairs. The upstairs bathroom will be turned into a utility closet and the bedroom above the kitchen will become the main bath. There is also a third bath in the addition that is in the master suite that we will refinish.

The front doors...well now it is front door and sidelights. DH does not like the two door look for whatever reason so we are going to do something like this. Our front hall is 8'4" wide and 32' long. The original stairs are tucked into the west wall so they don't project out much into the hall space. It will be a huge space when that ugly stairway is gone.

We have the lumber and the door has been striped, repaired and sanded. Unfortunately, it was terribly abused and we will be painting it to hide the repairs. DH has until 9/21 to start on the front entry. On 9/22 I will start on the entry and then he will have no choice but to do something.

The death door is gone. Insurance company made us do something with it and we turned it back into a window. Right now it is just sealed up but eventually we are going to put a stained glass window in there. That room will become the new main bathroom. There is evidence on the outside that there were stairs and a small porch up there at one time. Given the condition of most things around here it probably fell down.

Diane, Thank you! One day it will be incredible, wish it was today. Not much gets done around here lately. We started a window restoration business in 2011 and we stay busy constantly. I have been paying one of my employees to do some little stuff around here like insulation and painting the dentils which need to go back on the house, nothing serious. The original plan was to restore from the bottom up. Now the business is downstairs so we are re-evaluating.

We hired an architect to draw us some plans for a carriage house out back to move the business into. There have been a few changes but this is what it will basically look like. Then maybe we get back to working on this house some.

Don M

Post by Don M »

I love the carriage house plan; very nice & looks much as I would expect if it were an original built when your house was built!

So you are going to restore the original staircase? That's excellent & will make a huge difference in the overall appearance of your home!

Thomolli
Settling in

Post by Thomolli »

Oh yes that hideous stairway that is in the hall now is going. The oak flooring that was taken out so they could put it in was in a bundle in the basement so we will be putting that back also. The stairway that is there now was poorly constructed and is starting to fall apart from all the use it gets. We will have to take it down soon so no one gets hurt.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Are you going to eliminate the side entrance to the stairway too; replace the door with a window?

clover
Been here a good while

Post by clover »

I LOVE that carriage house design! It actually reminds me of a few old fire stations we have around here. My husband is pushing for a pole barn for our property, but I would love something with a few more architectural details. Unfortunately, he's closer to being right because old farmhouses didn't have carriage houses, per se.

Don M

Post by Don M »

clover wrote:I LOVE that carriage house design! It actually reminds me of a few old fire stations we have around here. My husband is pushing for a pole barn for our property, but I would love something with a few more architectural details. Unfortunately, he's closer to being right because old farmhouses didn't have carriage houses, per se.

Elegant old farmhouses might have had carriage houses. Our farm has a drive thru wagon shed/corncrib that is sort of fancy! ;)