1860 Greek Revival

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Tujo (WavyGlass)
Settling in

1860 Greek Revival

Post by Tujo (WavyGlass) »

Hello everyone!
I used to be active back on the oldhouseweb forums when I was restoring an Italianate home. Unfortunately I had to sell that house and move because of changing jobs. At the time I bought another Italianate, which mostly just frustrated me because it needed a lot of love and attention that I had neither the time or money to give it. I have just sold that home and moved on to another house - an older and slightly grander Greek Revivalish home.

I hope to be more active again on the forums now, though I've said that before... :roll:

Here are some pics of the new place!

The home is a centre hall plan, with a sitting room, both staircases, the bathroom and the kitchen on one side, and the very long parlour and dining room on the other. Upstairs there are four bedrooms and a bathroom. The attic has been finished as a family room, but is currently rented out as a studio apartment. There is only a small basement under the kitchen, which is unusual for this area, but this is also a very old house for this part of the country. The home is built about fifty feet from the niagara escarpment on a huge wooded lot, so even though it is right in the middle of town you can only see neighbours on one side.

Is anyone familiar with homes of this style? It's not common in this area and I'm not really sure what is "normal" about it and what is "unusual" - or what is original and what has been changed. I guess I won't know a lot of that stuff until I have more time to poke around myself.

BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Re: 1860 Greek Revival

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

It is beautiful. Congratulations!

It is nice for a town lot to have some privacy.
Stacy
Owner and Blogger of our 1880s...um...Colonial? Victorian?

Don M

Post by Don M »

That's a very nice home; in NY or Canada? Do keep us posted on your work!

Tujo (WavyGlass)
Settling in

In Ontario. I'm in Owen Sound, which is a port city on Georgian Bay.

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Tujo, good to have you back! And your new place is quite lovely. Keep us updated with pictures please.
Diane

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

welcome home tujo! can't forget a name like that....

gorgeous place...look forward to more.....
...jade

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

If there is a greek revival there, it is hiding under a lot of beautiful 1900-1915 details and styling. I see nothing of an 1860's structure. But it's magnificent crossing of Edwardian and very early craftsman. I love it, and that's just the way I see it. Thanks for coming here; stick around, it is a great community.
When you said Niagara, I thought NY, but felt "That house really looks more Canadian"!
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Tujo (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Yeah, there is a lot I don't know about the history of the house, but I know that the siding is obviously not original (its probably asbestos). I was leaning towards Greek revival because of the front facade, with the pillars and the gable. However, it does have a steeply sloped roof, so really it could just be someone's attempt to dress up the hous. The side porch probably dates t the era you described

Tujo (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Sorry about that post, trying to type on my phone wasn't working. It's hard to pin down an exact style to the house, I will post better pics when it's actually, well, my house. Also I've heard a rumour that there is a package of historical information on the house, and so the agreement of purchase has the current owners turning that over to me.

For interest sake here is the house I am selling:

http://beta.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?PropertyId=14724154

BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

Tujo wrote:In Ontario. I'm in Owen Sound, which is a port city on Georgian Bay.

Howdy neighbor. I am just a Peace Bridge and short drive away. :D
Stacy
Owner and Blogger of our 1880s...um...Colonial? Victorian?