Blake Hill House

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Blake Hill House

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

Hi Everyone,

I am so excited to find this forum. We just closed on our new/old home in June. It was built between 1880 and 1882. It was originally built as a summer home.

It is in mostly good condition, but there are many many many projects to work on to maintain the integrity of the structure. Presently, there is a lot of rot to deal with, and we are up to our elbows in repairing water-damaged indoor spaces.

I am keeping a blog about our restoration/reno. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com. Because of the scope of the project, we are doing a combo of reasonable bandaid fixes to hold the home over as well as working on projects that will be completed in their entirety. Working on a cash basis eliminates the possibility that we can get it all done at once. I am sure most of you can relate! :D

I am looking forward to reading all of your ideas and seeing your projects.
Stacy
Owner and Blogger of our 1880s...um...Colonial? Victorian?

heartwood

Re: Blake Hill House

Post by heartwood »

WELCOME TO OUR NEIGHBORHOOD!!

matchbookhouse
Been here a while

Post by matchbookhouse »

Wow, that is one purty house! Have you identified the style?

BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

Thank you for the welcome.

Matchbookhouse, we have not identified the style. It was one of three house built by the same family during the same time period. The other two are clearly Victorian, but this one has a style all its own. In some ways it is a hodgepodge of styles, and I wonder if that is because it was intended to be just a summer house.

Our town has a Historian. I am planning on paying him a second visit, and I will see if he has any input about the style, or perhaps he can direct me to someone who may be in the know.
Stacy
Owner and Blogger of our 1880s...um...Colonial? Victorian?

historicalwork
Been here a good while

Post by historicalwork »

Just a note to say you have a really beautiful house. I looked through your blog and the woodwork, colors, fireplace, etc are all lovely. I can see that place looking wonderful at Christmas!

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Very nice house! Love the staircase and windows. What is the small structure on the right of front door?
Please keep us up to date as you work on your home. And welcome to wavyglass!!
Diane

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Let me add my 'welcome to wavyglass. The home looks great, very green I must admit though. gothichome has a similar history as far as past owner. We bought it off a widow of 94. They bought it in 1964, so I've been told. She was basically living in three rooms,Kitchen bedroom and a back parlor. in the 20 years or so since her husband passed there was very little maintenance done to the home, I'm still trying to catch up.
So I can sympathize and relate very closely with what your going threw. But if I can offer any advise, relax, take your time, every once and a while site back with a glass of wine and just reflect on how much you've got done and smile.

BlakeHillHouse
Been here a while

Post by BlakeHillHouse »

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

gothichome, the house is so green. too green. :D

There are so many similarities with our situation. I cannot remember everything I shared on the blog, but our previous owner moved into BHH in the 60's. Her husband preceded her in death by 15-20 years. They were a childless couple, so we bought the home from the executor of their estate. Dorothy also lived in a portion of her house. Neighbors say that the primarily lived in the living room. She lived a very frugal life. When I look at our house, I can tell that she did the best she could, and it is amazingly well for a woman in her situation. She did a good job stopping further damage when things happened, but a lot of preventative maintenance went undone.

Thanks for the tip to step back and enjoy a little. It is so easy to feel overwhelmed.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Welcome in. That's a dandy looking abode!

Don M

Post by Don M »

Well that's a super new old house you & Andy have. Where in NY are you located; I was born in Watertown, we lived in Fayetteville, Manlius & Bedford Village; my Dad's family was from Binghamton & I attended Hobart in Geneva! Your home sure has many beautiful features; it's hard to believe it was originally a summer home with all those unique details! We currently live in an 1830s vintage stone farmhouse in South Central Pennsylvania. Welcome & keep posting pictures as you progress along with your DIY work! Don :)