New From Nebraska....Victorian Italianate

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
jokergirl (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

New From Nebraska....Victorian Italianate

Post by jokergirl (WavyGlass) »

Hi,

I'm new. My husband and I bought a large brick Italianate in March. We are trying to redo some stuff, it is rather slow going. I've been trying to get this guy over here to fix our porch since April.

We moved here, 4 hours from where we lived before, because we fell in love with the house and town. So, we still are moving stuff a bit at a time, and then, we will sell our other house. It is a little to medium sized ranch style from the 1970s.
Our house, we at first were told was built in 1884. Now, it may be as early as 1869. There is also a two car garage (quite recent) and a very beautiful brick carriage house with attached shop/studio that is heated and air conditioned.

Our house is large, at 3100 sq feet, not including the outbuildings, basement/attic, or summer kitchen. Because it's 3 layers thick, our utilities are very reasonable, less than at our other house.

The staircase is a dream. The kitchen is hideous, something more at home in a 1990s McMansion. Some of the ceilings are ugly dropped tiles. There is much to love, and much to redo. It is quite livable as is, so it doesn't have to be all at once. Some fool painted all the woodwork white...as well as the exterior.

It was reroofed in 2010, and I am not crazy about that they took all the pretty corbels and stuff out. Hopefully we can figure out something for that. As it is functional, though, I can't justify reroofing just because I want all the fancy stuff redone. My husband thinks there are some corbels up in the attic. I am afraid of the attic, afraid of the little ladder at the top of the back stairs. But oh, I hope they're there!

I heard at work this week, my house used to be broken up into apartments. That were haunted! Lol. Thank God, it will never be apartments again, while I'm alive! :)

Neighmond

Re: New From Nebraska....Victorian Italianate

Post by Neighmond »

Pictures for the photohounds?

Cheers!
Chaz

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Welcome to Wavyglass Jokergirl. White paint on the wood work is the scourge of century homes. I certainly hope the brick was not painted as well. The corbels can be replaced as long as the eaves did not get an aluminum clad. You can take solace in knowing it can all be brought back right. Just takes time and patience. As Neighmond mentioned, we here love pictures of old homes and old home details. And if you get a picture of the ghosts, well that's even better.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Congratulations on your new old home, it sounds wonderful. Please do post pictures & enjoy your new place!

mrsnightengale11 (WavyGlass)
Knows the area

Post by mrsnightengale11 (WavyGlass) »

Welcome!

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

Welcome and please post pics. We love looking at them.

drew1910
Settling in

Post by drew1910 »

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing photos of your home!

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

if you love old houses and want feedback on what to do and how to do it, you've come to the right place.....
WELCOME! good to have you........
.......jade

Bungalove
Knows the back streets

Post by Bungalove »

Welcome! I feel your pain -- almost all our woodwork was painted with thick, glossy, white paint. I found some unpainted, beautifully stained wood on the inside of an upstairs closet door, and I occasionally go in there with a flashlight to worship it.