Outside Photo of the house

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
houseinthecountry (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Outside Photo of the house

Post by houseinthecountry (WavyGlass) »

Any one care to take a stab at style, dating, and what might have been on the front originally so we can replicate it when we get rid of the shrubs?

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Re: Outside Photo of the house

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Id say classic Ontario Farm House with gothic peak and moorish upper window, but I don't know where you're located. Your (in this pic) left side windows are later, I'm guessing. --mal

JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by JRC »

I did a google image search for "brick gothic revival" and this is the first image to pop up:
http://www.house-crazy.com/wp-content/u ... brick1.jpg

But, there were other, similar examples without any sort of porch.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

http://www.ontarioarchitecture.com/gothicrevival.html

check this site out. there are several examples of your home.

Settling in

Unfortunately the windows have been replaced, and the openings messed with on one side of the house (the left side). I wish you could know why people did things.

It is an Ontario farmhouse... I wondered if there might be something unique about the brickwork. Thanks for the links!

Are there any other farm house owners here? I see most people seem to (enviously) have really beautiful and ornate homes.

Settling in

jrc - thanks for the photo link. :) That was my initial thought as well, but when you look at the coining and the brick work, there's no obvious place where a front porch would have been. The side porch, though long since gone, still shows clear evidence of where it would have been. The wood board (is that called the lintel?) is still there in the brick and you can see where the roof line would have been.

This is it for us - good chance we're never leaving, so I want to really take the time to put things back as they were, but with these houses being a dime a dozen and often renovated to death, it's hard to find examples locally.

JRC

Post by JRC »

houseinthecountry wrote:Unfortunately the windows have been replaced, and the openings messed with on one side of the house (the left side). I wish you could know why people did things.

It is an Ontario farmhouse... I wondered if there might be something unique about the brickwork. Thanks for the links!

Are there any other farm house owners here? I see most people seem to (enviously) have really beautiful and ornate homes.

I know what you mean. Keep in mind that there are probably people who envy your stonework and barge boards, too. :)

Powermuffin

Post by Powermuffin »

And I am one of them! Your house is wonderful.
Diane

Don M

Post by Don M »

You have a very nice home & although the left hand window was changed it looks like they did a nice job with it.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

HintheC, our home was a farm house. it was built on land granted to the original owners for service during the war of 1812. Most of the farm is still intact across the road but has long since been owned by another long time family name.