Hoosier style cabinets

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Nettie
Been here a while

Hoosier style cabinets

Post by Nettie »

My grandparents old Hoosier cabinet has been sitting in a basement for 30 years- left there after we sold my parent's house when my mother passed away. This past weekend the current owners gave the cabinet back to me to try and restore. I am so happy to have it back in the family. It had rotted legs and drawer bottoms but I think it's looking pretty good now.
Love to see everyone else's cabinets if you want to share :)
Attachments
After
After
Hoosier45.jpg (250.97 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
top before
top before
top.JPG (58.22 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
Before
Before
base.JPG (51.7 KiB) Viewed 1288 times

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Re: Hoosier style cabinets

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Nice job! Looks amazing.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Not a Hoosier but what's known as a Chatham cabinet. has bins for flour and all sorts of stuff. it could have been optioned out with lots of add on's. Most common would be a fold down end table section. But you could add a heavy mounting peice that would be used to mount your hand grinder, or a set of spice tins. Glass colour would be another option as well. the only option this cabinet has is the plate rack.

Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Post by Chevygirlalways »

Nettie, That is lovely. How nice that you have lovingly restored a piece of your family history.

Susan

Nettie
Been here a while

Post by Nettie »

Thanks Susan and Mal, it was a work of love as I remember Mother sitting me on a stool beside her while she worked her bread dough on the porcelain countertop and I have pictures of Grandma having coffee by it back in the 40's.
GC- I like the Chatham cabinet. Mine has a metal bread drawer and a flour bin in the bottom drawer too. I'm going to have to do something with the metal drawer as it is rusted out.

Don M

Post by Don M »

How nice that you got it back & was able to repair it. There are companies that sell replacement parts for Hoosier & Sellers cabinets so you might be able to purchase a replacement metal bread drawer.

Try this place:
http://www.vandykes.com/category.aspx?c ... 1514189102

We have my wife's granmother's Sellers cabinet which we had stripped of many layers of paint & refinished. It has the flour bin & sifter, metal bread drawer & a variety of shelves & compartments. I repaired the tambour sliding door with new burlap strips.

matchbookhouse
Been here a while

Post by matchbookhouse »

I have a Hoosier cabinet and matching pantry cabinet that were made for a Fredericksburg family - the tag is still on the bottom. They are painted in the original cream over green colors. I don't want to post pics because I've never "done" anything with them, as doing so would destroy the original paint, which is not in good shape on the cabinet. Someone later painted the interiors red, which matches my kitchen (red walls, white ceiling and trim). But both pieces hold lots of stuff, and the large cabinet hides my electrical and transfer box panels as well, so thy've been very useful and fit in their spots as if they were designed for them.

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

They are both beautiful! I tried very hard to find a spot for a Hoosier-type cabinet during the kitchen reno, but they are just too wide for the one spot I had. I have also considered putting one in my dining room. Nettie and Gothichome, are yours in the kitchen?
Diane

Nettie
Been here a while

Post by Nettie »

Yes Diane- I moved don't have a kitchen table since I have a formal dining room so I made room for it by the fridge. Mine is only 40 inches wide and the countertop pulls out for working on it so it's pretty manageable although my husband was a bit reluctant to cram it in there. :lol:

Don thanks for that link- I also had to do some work with my tambour door. It holds together with three cables and that was rusted and broke so I rethreaded it with separated lamp wire and straighted out some of the warp in the slats so that it works now.

MBhouse- I think the painted cabinets are very charming and the colors sound fun. Part of my enjoyment now has been shopping for green and red handled utinsels to display in an old bread bowl on top of mine. I am the same way though, I like to use my antiques- carefully of course but they have to earn their spot and it sounds like yours have paid their way tenfold.

matchbookhouse
Been here a while

Post by matchbookhouse »

Nettie, yes, my pair were pretty inexpensive at auction, so they've been worth the price many times over. I also have a large collection of green and red-handled utensils (and one or two yellow-handled ones) that I keep in the drawers (the counter top is full of cat treat bags!), and my Hoosier is 40" long as well. I love the natural finished ones, and know where one is being kept (but the heirs won't sell it to me), but the paint on this one is definitely original, as the color scheme is marked on the back of the cabinet. Anyway, since my kitchen is all red and white, including the vintage stove, it goes together. I'll have to post a picture of my porceliron kitchen table in white with the red edging and the pull-out leaves - now that's a cutie!