Before and after 1908 cottage

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Before and after 1908 cottage

Post by Powermuffin »

Before
Before
2006 Kitchen to family room addition.JPG (60.13 KiB) Viewed 767 times
Hi guys. I thought it was about time to show you pictures of our house as we moved in and now. We just finished a DIY kitchen remodel, which was quite extensive. There was a two-story addition put on the back of the house by a PO. The back porch was incorporated into the addition as a breakfast room, which was separated from the kitchen by a tight doorway (see above). This caused a traffic problem when we had quests as the stove was right next to the opening. The other issue with the kitchen was that it was just too small and I love to cook. So we took out the wall between the kitchen and the breakfast area (or back porch originally). And no, I don't like open concept and we mitigated that a bit. All of the original layout of the house is retained except for the back porch and kitchen. Flooring is Marmoleum. The pieces added to the kitchen were all either built by us or purchase as used and spiffed up. It was very interesting to see the original layout of the unfitted kitchen after we removed the flooring layers. There was a trap door right in front of the sink. We kept the bank of cabinets that I estimate were built in the 1920's-'30's. I love them. I am hoping that this kitchen addition will keep future owners from ripping these cabinets out or knocking down the wall between the kitchen and the dining room.
Diane
Attachments
From the family room.
From the family room.
2014 from family room.jpg (147.46 KiB) Viewed 767 times
After
After
2014 from dining room.jpg (136.98 KiB) Viewed 767 times

Powermuffin

Re: Before and after 1908 cottage

Post by Powermuffin »

Here is one more of the original cabinets. Just a little refinishing and cleaning up the butterfly hinges and what a beauty!
Diane
Attachments
Original cabinets.jpg
Original cabinets.jpg (118.97 KiB) Viewed 766 times

shazapple
Stalwart

Post by shazapple »

Very nice, cabinets look good!
Lee
1900 1.5 Story Cottage

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Turned out real nice, didn't it?

Powermuffin

Post by Powermuffin »

Here is the dining room before with 7 layers of wallpaper, cheap 1970 paneling, and me removing it all. Don't you love the light fixture!!! The ceiling had cellulose tiles which I pulled down, fearing the worst. But besides more layers of wall paper the plaster was in good shape. We patched, sanded, primed and painted.

Next came the trim work. Luckily there was only one or two coats of paint over shellac. I used a heat gun and a dental pick to remove all the paint. Here is a picture of the room now - from the other direction.
Attachments
dining room before stripping.JPG
dining room before stripping.JPG (167.82 KiB) Viewed 749 times
dining room picture rail.jpg
dining room picture rail.jpg (117.26 KiB) Viewed 749 times

houseinthecountry (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by houseinthecountry (WavyGlass) »

oh, I love picture rail. DH and I were just talking about putting wainscoting in one of our rooms... maybe we'll do the picture rail instead. Looks great!

Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Post by Chevygirlalways »

Beautiful :) hard work and nice design paid off for you.

Susan

clover
Been here a good while

Post by clover »

Wow! That kitchen is gorgeous! And those cabinets look so timeless! Interesting to see that the cabinet doors are inset but the drawers are not. When I eventually replace my 1970 kitchen cabinets I want inset ones, but I was afraid I'd close the drawers too fast when something isn't in the drawer all the way and I'll ding up the edges (I do that with my bathroom drawers). With inset drawers you could see the dings in all their glory, but if I did a mix like these I wouldn't have to worry about that (and nice to see it would still be historically accurate).

What material is the counter top around the sink?

Superbeetle
Been here a while

Post by Superbeetle »

clover wrote:Wow! That kitchen is gorgeous! And those cabinets look so timeless! Interesting to see that the cabinet doors are inset but the drawers are not. When I eventually replace my 1970 kitchen cabinets I want inset ones, but I was afraid I'd close the drawers too fast when something isn't in the drawer all the way and I'll ding up the edges (I do that with my bathroom drawers). With inset drawers you could see the dings in all their glory, but if I did a mix like these I wouldn't have to worry about that (and nice to see it would still be historically accurate).

My original cabinets are the same way (inset on doors, not drawers). They are 1918, at the very latest.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Superbeetle wrote:
clover wrote:Wow! That kitchen is gorgeous! And those cabinets look so timeless! Interesting to see that the cabinet doors are inset but the drawers are not. When I eventually replace my 1970 kitchen cabinets I want inset ones, but I was afraid I'd close the drawers too fast when something isn't in the drawer all the way and I'll ding up the edges (I do that with my bathroom drawers). With inset drawers you could see the dings in all their glory, but if I did a mix like these I wouldn't have to worry about that (and nice to see it would still be historically accurate).

My original cabinets are the same way (inset on doors, not drawers). They are 1918, at the very latest.

.....as are mine.

This thread is inspiring; the house is about the same age as mine with probably the same features in the original build, and it tickles me pank to see how mine might look if only I get the gumption to do it.