My first brag thread... wide plank pine floors

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
houseinthecountry (WavyGlass)
Settling in

My first brag thread... wide plank pine floors

Post by houseinthecountry (WavyGlass) »

9We were so pleasantly surprised to find these floors under the gross carpet. It was like a dream come true.

DH sanded and oiled them and they turned out beautifully.

mkeller234
Been here a while

Re: My first brag thread... wide plank pine floors

Post by mkeller234 »

Beautiful! Hard to believe someone wanted to cover those. Trends and style make us do some funny things. I still am surprised at the things that passed as cool during the 1980s!

houseinthecountry (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by houseinthecountry (WavyGlass) »

Agreed mkeller! The one room (pictured) didn't even have subfloor, just carpet laid over the floor, so it's in great shape. the room on the other side of the hall had 1/4 inch subfloor nailed every inch it seemed. It still came up really nicely.

bfarwell
Been here a while

Post by bfarwell »

Wow! Those are gorgeous! Congrats.

bfarwell
Been here a while

Post by bfarwell »

"I still am surprised at the things that passed as cool during the 1980s!"

The less said about style in the 80s the better. Some of us are still trying to live that down.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

bfarwell wrote:"I still am surprised at the things that passed as cool during the 1980s!"

The less said about style in the 80s the better. Some of us are still trying to live that down.

Fortunately, nobody usually had the means to photograph and spread the poor choices we made then, so much of went on in the eighties, stayed in the eighties!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Neighmond wrote:
bfarwell wrote:"I still am surprised at the things that passed as cool during the 1980s!"

Fortunately, nobody usually had the means to photograph and spread the poor choices we made then, so much of went on in the eighties, stayed in the eighties!

Hey I resemble those remarks, we still have two rooms left in our Calgary home painted dusty rose. Chrome and glass tables long gone, along with my tight jeans and europop records.
In another 80 years new old home people will buy these homes and marvel at the treasure of colour they discover under the other layers of paint a smile as they repaint back to dusty rose while restoring.

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

Hi,
for a contemporary example to your home, look at Lincoln's Springfield residence; all the flooring covered with wool ingrain carpet wall-to-wall. Seamed together every 27" because it was woven continuously in strips.
Just saying, wall to wall has a definitive historic provenance. When they intended to use carpet, knottier material could be use at a savings in cost.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Sombreuil, once again absolutely correct. Wall to wall carpeting was popular as far back as 1800 but were expensive and only for the those who could afford them. I believe it was the French who designed the first loom that would manufacture carpet in wide widths and in flashy patterns. This technology was imported into Britain about 1800 and Axminster England along with other towns became the world hub for large dimension (wall to wall ) carpet by now generically referred to as Axminster carpets or broad loom. By the time Victoria came to the throne mass production brought the carpet to with in reach of the middle classes.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Gothichome wrote:Sombreuil, once again absolutely correct. Wall to wall carpeting was popular as far back as 1800 but were expensive and only for the those who could afford them. I believe it was the French who designed the first loom that would manufacture carpet in wide widths and in flashy patterns. This technology was imported into Britain about 1800 and Axminster England along with other towns became the world hub for large dimension (wall to wall ) carpet by now generically referred to as Axminster carpets or broad loom. By the time Victoria came to the throne mass production brought the carpet to with in reach of the middle classes.

Interestingly that stuff didn't really catch on in Austria and Germany until well after WWII, so if you find wall-to-wall in an older home you can be fairly sure it's period-appropriate to throw it out. Not to mention a huge step towards sanitation and usability.

When I was a kid my granny used to have beige carpet everywhere and it was horrible - you had to be careful all the time! Besides, the synthetic carpet wasn't awfully nice on bare feet either. In another place I occasionally went to when I was little the carpet was damp from underneath and smelled like mushrooms - lovely! Then there was the time when I helped a friend tear out red-and-orange carpet-cum kitty litter box from the 1970s... *EEEEEEWWWWWW*

Let's just say I'm strictly against carpet, give me rugs anytime!