Hello from The Bronx

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Galesc (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Re: Hello from The Bronx

Post by Galesc (WavyGlass) »

What happened to the plaster medallion and the early light fixture (visible in the first picture).
The William Wellcome House
1892 Queen Anne
Topeka, Kansas

bfarwell
Been here a while

Post by bfarwell »

Both were in poor condition and destroyed during the GC work. I don't know if the lamp was very old, but it was in terrible condition and ill-proportioned for the space. I believe the medallion was recent and also not terribly attractive/well-integrated.
Attachments
2013_Snapshots_2547.jpg
2013_Snapshots_2547.jpg (160.33 KiB) Viewed 558 times

Don M

Post by Don M »

Well your new old townhouse looks very nice & I'm sure you will have fun working on it. Do keep us posted with pictures of all that you do! :P

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Such a project!

Cheers!
Chaz

bfarwell
Been here a while

Post by bfarwell »

My awesome wife got me an amazing birthday present - framed tax lot photos of our house from the 40's and 80's. Great to see where it was coming from, and inspiring for the work ahead of us... Here's hoping we'll be closer to 1940 (or at least 1980) in a decade or so. ;)

1940's:

1940's picture
1940's picture
2014_Snapshots_10505.jpg (207.69 KiB) Viewed 491 times

and the 80's.

1980's picture
1980's picture
2014_Snapshots_10507.jpg (220.27 KiB) Viewed 491 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well your wife could not have picked a better present. Now that you've been in the home for a while, and have the evidence, can you talk your neighbour into sharing the cost of replacing the porch. I see he still has one but from the little bit visible in the pic it looks like a new one. Too bad about your neibough on the other side, that aluminum looks just ugly.

bfarwell
Been here a while

Post by bfarwell »

Alas, there's no way they'd put it back on, even if we paid for it all ourselves. I think (magical future) we'll put it on as the single triangle with the turned posts and spindles. I wouldn't mind going back to the stone wall, either, but I fear that would be more complicated than I'd like.

(and yes! such a fantastic present!)