Hyder Mt NC School house

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
outobreth (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Hyder Mt NC School house

Post by outobreth (WavyGlass) »

Restoring 1917 school house on Hyder Mt in Clyde, North Carolina. Trying to locate a old photo so I restore it to it's former glory. Been searching for over two years. Have talked to neighbors, Haywood school board, written letters, contacted local newspaper who wrote a article about what we are trying to do, etc. No luck. open to suggestions.

Angie Tribble

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Hyder Mt NC School house

Post by mattswabb »

We have an old school in my neighborhood (late 1800's) and there are tons of photos of it. I've seen many postcards so maybe look in local antique shops for one? I've found postcards in antique stores in towns miles away.

Also did the school have yearbooks? If so are they archived at the library. We live across from the old school and went thru every yearbook at the library hoping to find a pic of our house. No luck for us.

CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Hyder Mt NC School house

Post by CS in Low Hud »

How about searching for old class photos? I've seen a number of early 20th century examples of those that feature the student body outside in front of the school. If the school board does not have the photos themselves, perhaps they have records of old graduates who are still in the area that you could approach directly. Heck, here's the 1918 class from the Clyde highschool (I'm guessing this is not your place and that you have an old grade school/ school house, but still...): http://www.clydecardinals.org/pb/images ... 57fc64.jpg

The old postcard idea makes sense too!