Finally found time to post something

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
StoneHouseGuy
Knows the area

Finally found time to post something

Post by StoneHouseGuy »

Like so many of you things go through some pretty busy cycles at our house.

In Fact, just the past month we have added a living room to the soon to be completed mother-in-law apartment in the basement (she arrives in June) and painted the existing bedroom. The bath is already in place but the kitchen and dining area need to be carved out of a large open space.

If that wasn't enough, I skim coated the parlor walls and have been spending every weekday evening and weekend working in that room. No, it hasn't been a huge project, but I am adding a border to the ceiling and I am not real good with heights ... get me 2 steps up on the ladder and things get all woozy and stuff.

So, i took a few photos and posted them with some info to my blog, have a read

http://stoneshack.blogspot.com/2014/04/ ... arlor.html

Neighmond

Re: Finally found time to post something

Post by Neighmond »

and we even got pictures!

clover
Been here a good while

Post by clover »

I remembered a few stencil tutorials from OHW. It's too bad the pics aren't there anymore, because this ceiling was gorgeous. You might get some tips from this thread: http://www.oldhouseweb.com/forums/viewt ... il+ceiling

Superbeetle
Been here a while

Post by Superbeetle »

That ceiling will be beautiful!

I'm terribly afraid of heights, too, but it's one of those things that tends to recede the more time you spend on ladders. When I moved into my house six years ago, I got shaky being more than a couple feet up. After working on a 10 foot ceiling while on a bakers scaffold, it doesn't phase me at all now to be five feet up. Then I spent some time 10 feet up a ladder while painting my back stairwell, and that's getting easier, too. I'm still nervous about the front stairwell - that will take a 24' ladder, but I think I might be able to get there eventually. By the time you're done with your stencil, you might be more comfortable than you expect!

StoneHouseGuy
Knows the area

Post by StoneHouseGuy »

Thanks all for the positive feedback. Its funny, when I can get into my "zone" up on the ladder I'm ok. then something shakes me and I panic a bit and have to grab for the wall, ceiling, ladder, something to steady myself. I guess its one of the hazards of wanting a decorated ceiling.

My preference would be for something fantastically decorated, but I know what I am capable of (time and ladder skills) and I tend to go a bit more simple.

Hoisted the old cast iron mantle I have been dragging around for the past 7 years into the parlor this weekend. Not a bad look - had to build a whole matrix behind to support the weight of the mantle, slate top and massive over mantle structure. Glad to get back on the ladder, next, to simply paint.
Attachments
10294350_696712960367026_5168828195902950460_n.jpg
10294350_696712960367026_5168828195902950460_n.jpg (40.72 KiB) Viewed 526 times